How Does Helmholtz Free Energy Change During Constant Temperature and Volume?

In summary: Excellent. So the initial state is P,V, and T, and the final state is P/2, 2V, T. So do you know how to determine the change in A?In summary, the Helmholtz free energy changes between the initial and final states of the system. The amount of work done on the surroundings is not affected, but the amount of heat transferred is.
Getterdog
This is really basic,and I’m not seeing something obvious,but I’d appreciate help with this concept. In differential form dA= -tds-pdv. However s and v are the natural variables for this free energy and are held constant . As I understand it the Helmholtz free energy is the energy available to do work holding t and v constant. So according to the differential form ds and dv are 0 as these are held constant.,how can there be a change in the HFE during a process holding these constant.? Feeling really dumb.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry replace s with t as the natural variable,but so da=-sdt-Pdv,hold t and v constant.

It is referring to non pv work.

Now I’m more confused. Per wiki HFE is capacity todo non mechanical plus mechanical work. Still I don’t get da = -sdt-pdv if t and v are constant.

Getterdog said:
Now I’m more confused. Per wiki HFE is capacity todo non mechanical plus mechanical work. Still I don’t get da = -sdt-pdv if t and v are constant.
You left out the terms associated with the chemical potentials times the changes in the numbers of moles.

Well I’m simplifying,assuming no additional mass,,say just a fixed volume of nitrogen gas.

volume or density?

The Helmholtz free energy is the energy available to do work, more precisely, for a system in contact with a constant temperature heat reservoir at the same temperature as the initial temperature of the system, if the final temperature of the system is also at that temperature. In this case, the work is not necessarily P-V work, and other forms of work are also allowed. For example, if the system is also at constant volume, then electrical work can be performed, associated with electro-chemical reactions within the system. In this case, the numbers of moles of reactants and products change, even if the temperature and volume does not.

Here's a problem we can focus on to help us gain some understanding. We have a rigid container having 2 equal-volume compartments V, with a partition between the two compartments, and nitrogen in one compartment at pressure P, with vacuum in the other. The gas is initially at temperature T, and the container is in contact with an ideal constant-temperature reservoir at temperature T. We suddenly remove the partition and allow the system to re-equilibrate. To begin with, what is the change in Helmholtz free energy between the initial and final states of this system? How much work is done on the surroundings outside the container? How much heat is transferred?

Likes Getterdog and QuantumQuest
Take for example a battery with dA=-SdT-VdP +UdQ where U is the electrical potential and Q charge. At constant T and P, dA=UdQ is the non-volume work.

Edit: Changed Current for Charge

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Here's a problem we can focus on to help us gain some understanding. We have a rigid container having 2 equal-volume compartments V, with a partition between the two compartments, and nitrogen in one compartment at pressure P, with vacuum in the other. The gas is initially at temperature T, and the container is in contact with an ideal constant-temperature reservoir at temperature T. We suddenly remove the partition and allow the system to re-equilibrate. To begin with, what is the change in Helmholtz free energy between the initial and final states of this system? How much work is done on the surroundings outside the container? How much heat is transferred?
Well this is free expansion,and no work is done,and I’m assuming an idea gas,no change in temp, so no change in internal energy.. so a= u-tds so if there is a change in a it must be due to s?

Getterdog said:
Well this is free expansion,and no work is done,and I’m assuming an idea gas,no change in temp, so no change in internal energy.. so a= u-tds so if there is a change in a it must be due to s?
Excellent. So the initial state is P,V, and T, and the final state is P/2, 2V, T. So do you know how to determine the change in A?

1. What is Helmholtz free energy concept?

Helmholtz free energy concept is a thermodynamic concept introduced by German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz in the mid-19th century. It is a measure of the amount of energy in a system that is available to do work at a constant temperature and volume.

2. How is Helmholtz free energy concept related to entropy?

Helmholtz free energy concept is related to entropy through the thermodynamic equation: A = U - TS, where A represents the Helmholtz free energy, U represents the internal energy of the system, T represents the temperature, and S represents the entropy. It is a measure of the energy that is not available for work due to the dispersal of energy in the system.

3. What is the significance of Helmholtz free energy concept?

Helmholtz free energy concept is important in thermodynamics because it helps to determine the spontaneity and stability of a system. A decrease in Helmholtz free energy indicates a spontaneous process with a tendency towards equilibrium, while an increase in Helmholtz free energy indicates a non-spontaneous process.

4. How is Helmholtz free energy concept used to calculate work in a system?

Helmholtz free energy concept can be used to calculate the maximum possible work that a system can do at constant temperature and volume. It is calculated by taking the negative of the change in Helmholtz free energy (ΔA) during a process: W = -ΔA.

5. Can Helmholtz free energy concept be used for open systems?

Yes, Helmholtz free energy concept can be used for open systems, as long as the temperature and volume remain constant. In open systems, the change in Helmholtz free energy is equal to the work done by the system on its surroundings plus the energy exchanged with the surroundings.