Helmholtz free energy decreases

In summary, the Helmholtz free energy decreases as the system approaches equilibrium with its environment.
wakko101
Helmholtz free energy decreases...

Hello...

I'm having trouble getting my head around something. I'm not exactly sure what is meant by the Helmholtz free energy (F) decreasing in a system that's in thermal equilibrium with it's environment. Under what circumstances does it decrease?

Cheers,
W. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The free energy could decrease if the system lost matter to the surrounding environment, if it did work on the environment, if the temperature of the environment decreased slowly to remain in thermal equilibrium with the system, or if a spontaneous internal change occurred. Does this help?

The free energy is just a useful quantity to have for determining how a system at a given temperature behaves. the minimization principle of the free energy is a generalization of of the minimization prinicple of the energy (which you are probably used to) to the case of finite temperature.

For example (I'm just making this up off the top of my head to illustrate the point, so don't take it too literally), perhaps I have a system at density [tex]\rho[/tex] that rises up to some height [tex]h[/tex] in a tube. And so the energy is
[tex]
0.5 \rho g h^2\;.
[/tex]
And so, I can minimize the energy to find that the height h should be zero... the fluid doesn't rise up in the tube...

But, what if I'm at finite temperature, and perhaps the *free energy* (E-TS) is given by
[tex]
0.5 \rho g h - \frac{k_B T}{A}\log(h)\;,
[/tex]
where [tex]A[/tex] is some parameter with dimensions of Area. I minimize this and I find a different answer
[tex]
h=\sqrt{\frac{k_B T}{\rho g A}}\;.
[/tex]

olgranpappy said:
...and perhaps the *free energy* (E-TS) is given by
[tex]
0.5 \rho g h - \frac{k_B T}{A}\log(h)\;,
[/tex] ...

I bet it should be [tex]0.5\rho g h^2 - \frac{k_B T}{A}\log(h)[/tex]. =P

It is a very good example~thank you~

tnho said:
I bet it should be [tex]0.5\rho g h^2 - \frac{k_B T}{A}\log(h)[/tex]. =P

It is a very good example~thank you~

whoopsy daisy, you're right--that's what I meant.

1. What is Helmholtz free energy?

Helmholtz free energy, also known as Helmholtz energy or A energy, is a thermodynamic potential that measures the amount of work that a thermodynamic system can perform at a constant temperature and volume.

2. How does Helmholtz free energy decrease?

Helmholtz free energy decreases when a system undergoes a spontaneous change, such as a chemical reaction, where the system releases energy and becomes more stable.

3. Why is a decrease in Helmholtz free energy desirable?

In general, a decrease in Helmholtz free energy indicates that a system is becoming more stable and releasing energy, which is often desirable in the context of chemical reactions and physical systems.

4. What factors influence the decrease of Helmholtz free energy?

The decrease of Helmholtz free energy is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the system. Changes in these factors can affect the spontaneity and direction of a system's energy release.

5. How is Helmholtz free energy related to other thermodynamic potentials?

Helmholtz free energy is closely related to other thermodynamic potentials, such as Gibbs free energy and internal energy. These potentials help to describe the behavior of a system and the energy exchanges that occur within it.