1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Helmholtz free energy

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    Hello! I read that the Helmholtz free energy is minimized at constant T and V at equilibrium. But I am not sure I understand why. So starting from ##F=U-TS## I got ##dF = \mu dN - pdV -SdT##. So at constant V and T we have ##dF = \mu dN##. Now I am not sure how does this implies that F is minimized and minimized with respect to what? Can someone tell me why is F minimized? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2
    I think the statement you are referring to is missing to say that it is for a closed system, that is, there's not mass transferring (so ##dN=0##).

4. Mar 4, 2017 #3
    Thank you for the reply. However, if T, V and N (and hence p) are constant, then nothing changes in the system. Doesn't that means that F is constant, so it doesn't make sense to talk about a minimum? (Also, the context in which I read this is about chemical reactions, so dN changes i assume.)

5. Mar 4, 2017 #4
    It is assumed (and can be proved) that all parameters are constant at equilibrium. Think, for example, on an expansive system, so you take ##U=U (S, V, N)##; If you "drop" the system from an arbitrary state, always evolves to another state (equilibrium state) until the energy U is minimal and the entropy S is maximal. All parameters evolves too (p, V, T ...) and when the system reaches equilibrium state you get ##p=const ## (mechanical equilibrium), ##T=const## (thermal equilibrium), ##N=const## (chemical equilibrium).

Helmholtz free energy is the internal energy U but depending on temperature instead of entropy.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##F## being constant is only one prerequisite to be a minimum; you also need to show that the second derivative is less than zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted