1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helmholtz theorem

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone!

This question has me a little stumped.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's work on this together. On my side, I "simplified" the 2 original integrals to

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_V \frac{\nabla _s \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R^2}\hat{R} \ d^3x_s - \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_V \frac{\nabla _s \times \vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R^2} \times \hat{R} \ d^3x_s[/tex]

Anyone else care to contribute?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  4. Jul 27, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the other hand, take just the first integral. Isn't it just 0?

[tex]\nabla_t \int_V \nabla_s \cdot \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R} \right) \ d^3x_s = \nabla_t \int_{\partial V} \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R} \right)\ \cdot \ \hat{n} \ d^2x_s \rightarrow \nabla_t 0=0[/tex]

just by taking V sufficiently large.

?!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  5. Jul 27, 2006 #4
    See the attached file.

Pete

Attached Files:

6. Jul 28, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you write this Pete?

There's something I don't get at all:

Equation (10c): " [itex]\nabla[/itex] and [itex]\nabla '[/itex] are related by [itex]\nabla = -\nabla '[/itex] "

How can they be related since the primed coordinates and the non-primed are not related?

7. Jul 28, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, in the last paragraph of page 3,

"Regarding the first integral on the right; as the radius of the surface increases as r then the area of the surface increases as r². However the integrand decreases as r³. Therefore as we let the radius go to infinity we see that the first integral vanishes."

The author seems to be making the assumption that F decreases as r², something that was not mentionned in the original statement of the theorem.

It's a detail important to mention imo.

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this case, it's because the operator is being used on [tex] \frac{1}{|r - r'|} [/tex]. So, the derivates of [itex] r - r' [/itex] wrt to primed coordinates, are the negative of the derivates wrt to unprimed.

I don't see how it how they are related like that in any other case, except when they operate on functions of [itex] r - r' [/itex].

Yeah, I think that the argument should be the other way around. If that integral should converge, then F should decrease as 1/r^2 or faster.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?