1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help 1D kinematics problem

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    A motorist is traveling at 18 m/s^2 when he sees a deer 38 m ahead. If the maximum negative acceleration is -4.5 m/s^2, what is the reaction time (delta t) of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer? Answer in units of 's'.

I tried using x(t)=x0+v0t+1/2at^2 and it didn't work out for me. I know the answer is supposed to be 0.1111 s and I can't get this no matter what I try. help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

trying using v = u +at and s = 0.5( u+v) t
    and 0.1111s actually is 1/9 or 2/18 or ....
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    Mjsd...that makes sense to me except I don't understand why 's' is equal to '1'?? Also, in the s = 0.5 (u+v)t equation I would think that acceleration should be used somewhere in the equation since that is how fast it is decelerating.
    My original idea was the use the equation I mentioned above and then use the quadratic equation to get the answer, but that didn't work out so well.
  5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Please dont double, triple post the same question.
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

firstly, let's remember that there are many ways to do the same problem. My way is to do it in two steps. By the way the equations I listed are correct, the second one is just: distance travelled = av. speed x total time.

Logic: how long does it take to stop from initial speed assuming the full [tex]-4.5m/s^2[/tex], then in that time how far the vehicle will travel, then what's left for reaction time? etc....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?