1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP A dynamics problem

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    HELP!!!A dynamics problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a carnival ride called the Rotor, people stand against the inside wall of cylindrical chamber. when the chamber rotates with a sufficiently high angular velocity, the floor of the chamber is lowered and the people "stick" to the wall. the coefficient of static friction between a person and the wall is mu(s)=0.5 and the radius of the chamber is r=3.5m.
    what is the minimum angular velocity, omega, of the chamber (in revolutions per minute) that will keep the people from sliding down the wall?

3. The attempt at a solution

two unknown variables
    therefore, we need to find the acceleration
    Frictional force=mu(s)*m*g
    mu(s)=0.5 g=9.8
    frictional force=0.5*m*9.8
    frictional force=ma
    sub the a I got into a=(omega)^2*radius to find omega

however, while i was trying to find the frictional force, there are two unknown variables, which are frictional force and the mass. I think that i can solve this question as soon as I know the mass for the person...can anyone teach me how to find the mass of the person?

Thank you for helping me.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    Re: HELP!!!A dynamics problem

You are correct that you need the mass of the person. If you can't find the mass of the person , give your answer in terms of "m" and mention that "m" is the mass of the person.
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

What you are saying is that I will not get a numerical answer for this question, instead i will have a variable in my answer, right?
    I wish my teacher will not mark this as a wrong answer^^thanks
    by the way,so there is no way to find the mass, right?
  5. Oct 21, 2008 #4

I don't think you need the mass of rider to solve this problem because it cancels out. This is a statics problem i.e. the rider is not moving. Do a free body diagram on the rider with all the forces defined (hint: I see 4 forces). Sum of the forces in X-direction is 0 and sum of all the forces in Y-direction is 0. Solve for u.
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

Yes, I see it now. The mass should cancel out because the gravitational force, the centripetal force, and the force of friction should all depend linearly on mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?