Calculating Minimum Angular Velocity for Rotor Carnival Ride | Dynamics Problem

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: Therefore, we can solve for omega without needing the mass of the person.In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum angular velocity required for people to stick to the wall in a carnival ride called the Rotor. The coefficient of static friction between the person and the wall is given, as well as the radius of the chamber. To solve for omega, a free body diagram can be used to show that the mass of the person cancels out, allowing for the equation to be solved without knowing the exact mass.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A dynamics problem

Homework Statement

In a carnival ride called the Rotor, people stand against the inside wall of cylindrical chamber. when the chamber rotates with a sufficiently high angular velocity, the floor of the chamber is lowered and the people "stick" to the wall. the coefficient of static friction between a person and the wall is mu(s)=0.5 and the radius of the chamber is r=3.5m.
what is the minimum angular velocity, omega, of the chamber (in revolutions per minute) that will keep the people from sliding down the wall?

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(omega)^2*radius
two unknown variables
therefore, we need to find the acceleration
Frictional force=mu(s)*m*g
mu(s)=0.5 g=9.8
frictional force=0.5*m*9.8
and
frictional force=ma
mu(s)*m*g=ma
a=mu(s)*g
sub the a I got into a=(omega)^2*radius to find omega

however, while i was trying to find the frictional force, there are two unknown variables, which are frictional force and the mass. I think that i can solve this question as soon as I know the mass for the person...can anyone teach me how to find the mass of the person?

Thank you for helping me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct that you need the mass of the person. If you can't find the mass of the person , give your answer in terms of "m" and mention that "m" is the mass of the person.

JoAuSc said:
You are correct that you need the mass of the person. If you can't find the mass of the person , give your answer in terms of "m" and mention that "m" is the mass of the person.
What you are saying is that I will not get a numerical answer for this question, instead i will have a variable in my answer, right?
I wish my teacher will not mark this as a wrong answer^^thanks
by the way,so there is no way to find the mass, right?

I don't think you need the mass of rider to solve this problem because it cancels out. This is a statics problem i.e. the rider is not moving. Do a free body diagram on the rider with all the forces defined (hint: I see 4 forces). Sum of the forces in X-direction is 0 and sum of all the forces in Y-direction is 0. Solve for u.

RTW69 said:
I don't think you need the mass of rider to solve this problem because it cancels out. This is a statics problem i.e. the rider is not moving. Do a free body diagram on the rider with all the forces defined (hint: I see 4 forces). Sum of the forces in X-direction is 0 and sum of all the forces in Y-direction is 0. Solve for u.

Yes, I see it now. The mass should cancel out because the gravitational force, the centripetal force, and the force of friction should all depend linearly on mass.

1. What is "HELP A dynamics problem"?

"HELP A dynamics problem" is a phrase that is commonly used when someone is seeking assistance with a problem related to dynamics, which is the study of forces and motion in a system.

2. How can I solve a dynamics problem?

To solve a dynamics problem, you will need to use the principles of physics and mathematics to analyze the forces and motion involved in the system. This often involves creating free body diagrams, applying Newton's laws of motion, and using equations such as F=ma and kinematic equations.

3. What are some common types of dynamics problems?

Some common types of dynamics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and collisions. These problems can involve objects moving in one, two, or three dimensions and can vary in complexity.

4. How do I approach a dynamics problem?

When faced with a dynamics problem, it is important to first identify the system and understand the forces and motion involved. Then, create a free body diagram and apply relevant principles and equations to solve for the unknown variables. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. What are some tips for solving dynamics problems?

Some tips for solving dynamics problems include practicing with similar problems, drawing accurate diagrams, checking units and significant figures, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to work through the problem step-by-step and explain your reasoning as you go.