Help about Rayleigh Dissipative Function

In summary, Rayleigh Dissipative Function is a mathematical function used in mechanics to describe energy loss due to damping, calculated by taking the dot product of the damping matrix and velocity vector. It is significant in mechanics as it helps understand and control vibrations and oscillations, and differs from other damping functions by considering both mass and stiffness. It is commonly used in real-world applications such as structural engineering and vehicle suspension systems.
eureka
i think I've posted this topic in the wrong thread(theoretical physics).. anyways, i would like to ask, if anyone could give me some backgrounds on Rayleigh Dissipative Function.. thank you very much in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one item that a Google search turned up:

http://icg.harvard.edu/~phys151/lectures/Lecture13_3up.pdf [Broken]

Do you need more?

Last edited by a moderator:
tom

thank you so much for the help.. :) i really appreciate it a lot!

1. What is Rayleigh Dissipative Function?

Rayleigh Dissipative Function is a mathematical function used in the field of mechanics to describe the loss of energy in a system due to damping. It is named after the British physicist Lord Rayleigh and is commonly used in the study of vibrations and oscillations.

2. How is Rayleigh Dissipative Function calculated?

The Rayleigh Dissipative Function is calculated by taking the dot product of the damping matrix and the velocity vector. This results in a scalar value, which represents the amount of energy lost due to damping in a system.

3. What is the significance of Rayleigh Dissipative Function in mechanics?

The Rayleigh Dissipative Function is important in mechanics because it helps describe the behavior of a system when energy is lost due to damping. This allows scientists and engineers to better understand and control the vibrations and oscillations in a system, which is crucial in many practical applications.

4. How does Rayleigh Dissipative Function differ from other damping functions?

Unlike other damping functions, the Rayleigh Dissipative Function takes into account both the mass and stiffness of a system. This makes it a more comprehensive and accurate representation of the energy loss in a system.

5. Can Rayleigh Dissipative Function be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Rayleigh Dissipative Function is commonly used in real-world applications such as structural engineering, earthquake engineering, and vehicle suspension systems. It is also used in the design of musical instruments and shock absorbers.