1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help,about subcover!

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    I am studying Heine-Borel theorem.
    I finally get the sense of this theorem after i read a lots posts here.
    But I found a question posted by Rach3
    why for S={1,1/2,1/3……} there is no subcollection of it is a cover of S
    but every open cover of T={0,1,1/2,1/3……} has a finite subcover?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    I know that I can find a cover e.g Ia=(1/n,1+1/n),union of Ia from n=1 to inifinte is a cover for S but not finite

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    but how to prove that every open cover of T has a finite subcover

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no universally recognized statement of the Heine-Borel theorem so you'd better tell people what you call the "Heine-Borel" theorem when you speak about it.

I will assume that you take it to mean "A subset of R is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded."

So the answer to your question is that every open cover of T admits a finite subcover because it is compact. And why is it compact? Because it is closed and bounded. On the other hand, the set S above is not compact because it is not closed.

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5
    I need to prove every every open cover of T has a finite subcover.
    My version of Heine-Borel theorem is every open cover of a closed interval has a finite subcover.
    It is easy to prove if it is a closed interval. I mean like [a,b]
    not a interval like T.

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget the word "bounded": your version of the Heine-Borel theorem is that every open cover of a closed and bounded interval has a finite subcover.

It is important not to forget "bounded" because for instance, the whole real line R is a closed interval but clearly there is no finite subcover of the open cover [itex]\{(-n,n)\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex].

So, why does your version of the H-B theorem implies that every open cover of T has a finite subcover?

Well, notice that T is a closed subset of the closed and bounded interval [0,1]. Now consider [itex]\{U_i\}_{i\in I}[/itex] an open cover of T. Then add to that cover the open set V:=R\T so that [itex]\{V\}\cup \{U_i\}_{i\in I}[/itex] is an open cover of [0,1]. By the H-B theorem then, there exists a finite subcover of that open cover. Of that subcover, keeping only the U_i's (that is to say, removing V if it in a member of the subcover), we get a finite subcover of T.

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7
    Thank you.
    I think I need some times to understand the last step" Of that subcover, keeping only the U_i's (that is to say, removing V if it in a member of the subcover)"

9. Jan 28, 2009 #8
    I think you are using the result to prove the question .
    you mentioned that t is closed and bounded,then processing to prove in the way T is bounded and closed...
    If you using S instead of T , your prove still hold.
    "Now consider an open cover of T. Then add to that cover the open set V:=R\T so that is an open cover of [0,1]. By the H-B theorem then, there exists a finite subcover of that open cover. Of that subcover, keeping only the U_i's (that is to say, removing V if it in a member of the subcover), we get a finite subcover of T.
    "

10. Jan 28, 2009 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I understood correctly, the question was "Use the Heine-Borel theorem to prove that every open cover of T has a finite subcover.", and it was not "Show that T is closed and bounded."

However, you're right that in solving the problem, I did use the fact that T closed. But that is easy to show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?