1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help about time

1. Jun 27, 2005 #1
    I have this research about:

-why 60 as chosen as the number of seconds in a minute and of minutes in an hour;

-and the possible consequences if the earth rotates more slowly, for example, once in 30 hours.

Please...any sort of help will do...I don't really know where to find the answers to this question and I tried to go here so...^^am counting on you guys..thanks in advance. ^_^
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2005 #2
    Ask the Babilonians, anyway: 10=2x5, whereas 60=2x2x3x5.

For the second question, I think the best way is to study relative motions in non inertial frames, the Earth (apparent forces, relative velocity of the Winds, trajectory of a falling body, pendulums, ecc...), and related biological implications.
    Then you should go on to consider Earth in his relationship with Sun, referring both to mechanical problems and radiation-thermodynamical ones.
    It could be interesting to consider the reasons for this slowing down.
  4. Jun 28, 2005 #3
    hey thanks for your post Maxos, it did a lot of help. :blushing: :wink:
  5. Jun 28, 2005 #4
    If the earth rotates slowly then gravity at equator increases and at poles remains the same.Increase in gravity every once in 30 seconds would lead to long term affects.

6. Jun 28, 2005 #5
    thank you for appreciating
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?