Can Changing Mass and Design Improve Ball Aerodynamics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the investigation of the relationship between the mass of two soccer balls and their rebound height when dropped from a fixed height. The method of adding mass to the balls is through tape and weights, which may introduce potential errors. The use of different balls, such as a basketball, is suggested to reduce aerodynamic problems. The data collected does not match the hypothesis, and suggestions are given to improve the design of the experiment.
GreenSabbath
Im stuck with an IB extended essay I don't understand at all. :mad: I am investigating the relationship between the mass of two soccer balls and the rebound height the top ball reaches when both balls fall from a fixed height. My way of adding mass to the balls is pretty crude, some tape and some weights. What kind of errors am i looking at ?
Im also noticing a very uneven relationship between restitution and the mass added. Does arrangement of the added masses have anything at all to do with the rebound height?
Does sticking tape alter the balls compression? Can it alter spin ?
How does spin affect the rebound height?
Please do try answering some of my questions! Ill be really grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am investigating the relationship between the mass of two soccer balls and the rebound height the top ball reaches when both balls fall from a fixed height.

Do the experiment and find out.

I've already done the experiment ...
My Hypothesis and experimental data don't match
I was looking for some potential errors that's all .. and I am sure the crudely attached weights affected my readings a lot? But how?

Did you plot the data and look for any trends? Did you run a control to compare against? Don't match by how much?.

You should spend more time looking over what the data is telling you.

Last edited:
The tape and the weights could affect the restitution. Couldn't you use different balls, like a basketball and a soccer ball?

Are you measuring the peak height of both balls after the bounce? The top ball will bounce the highest when the bottom ball never leaves the ground.

to reduce the "crudeness" of your design and the aerodynamic problems that pose when attatching heavier weights on this ball.

i suggest you do your experiment again but using a basket-ball size ball so you can put things into it. then secure them to the bottom. then launch. this wouldent change the air resistnace or shape of your "ball" because all the weights are on this inside.

im no physicist but i think it would work.

What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how gases interact with moving objects, such as a ball. It involves analyzing the forces and motions involved in the movement of an object through air or other gases.

How does aerodynamics affect the flight of a ball?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in the flight of a ball. The shape, size, and surface characteristics of a ball all impact its aerodynamics and determine its trajectory, speed, and spin in the air.

What factors influence the aerodynamics of a ball?

The aerodynamics of a ball are influenced by various factors, such as its shape, size, surface roughness, weight, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through (e.g. air or water). The speed and angle at which the ball is thrown or kicked also affect its aerodynamics.

How do scientists study the aerodynamics of a ball?

Scientists use various methods to study the aerodynamics of a ball, including wind tunnel experiments, computer simulations, and mathematical models. They also conduct tests on different types of balls in controlled environments to analyze their flight patterns.

How can understanding aerodynamics help improve ball design?

Understanding aerodynamics is crucial in designing better balls for various sports. By studying the aerodynamics of a ball, scientists can make improvements in its shape, surface, and weight to enhance its flight characteristics and performance. This can lead to more accurate throws, kicks, and shots, and ultimately, better gameplay.