Solve Physics Problem: Help a Student Lift Weight

• Thread starter Woody11
  • Start date
In summary, the student is struggling with a physics assignment and is seeking help with a question regarding the maximum weight they can lift. The distance from the elbow joint to the center of gravity of the weight is 30cm and the flexor muscles of the forearm insert at an angle of 20 degrees and can generate 40 kilograms of internal tension. The student is hoping to do well on this assignment as it is worth 20% and believes they can handle the rest of the questions.
Woody11
This is the last question I will as for help on for this assignment I am doing I promise. For all you out there who know Physics you are awesome, cause boy is this stuff hard. Here is the question I am have trouble with now, again this could be an easy question but I am not sure on what to do. I have been trying to figure it out but no way can I do it.

A student is trying to life a weight held in the hand. The distance from the elbow joint to the centre of gravity of the weight they are trying to life is 30cm. Their flexor muscles of the forearm insert 5cm from the centre of rotation of the elbow joint (the pivot). If the tendon inserts into the bone at an angle of 20 degrees, and the muscle is able to generate 40 kilograms of internal tension; How much weight could the student lift??

I hate to be bothering for help but this assignment I am doing is worth 20% and I am hoping to do well, the rest of teh questions on this part I think I can handle. If someone could help me with this one it would be great.

Thanks,Woody :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The student can lift (slowly) the weight while the torque (of the hand around the centre of rotation of the elbow joint) that is created by the tendon, which balances the torque created by the weight, is less then the value corresponding to the maximum force that the muscle can generate.

To evaluate the maximum weight the hand we are talking about can lift we've got to write the equation of the torques around the elbow joint (it is the pivot) for the critical case:

m*30=40*sin(20*)*5

Solve it and get the answer;

And take it easy! :wink:

Hi Woody,

No need to apologize for asking for help, we all need assistance sometimes! Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we need to understand the concept of torque. Torque is a measure of rotational force and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point is the elbow joint and the weight is being held at a distance of 30cm from it.

Next, we need to consider the angle at which the flexor muscle inserts into the bone. This angle affects the amount of torque that can be generated by the muscle. We can use the formula Torque = Force x Distance x sin(angle) to calculate the maximum torque that can be generated by the muscle.

Now, we know that the muscle is able to generate 40 kilograms of internal tension. We can convert this to Newtons, the standard unit of force in physics, by multiplying it by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This gives us a force of 392 N.

Plugging in the values to the torque formula, we get:

Torque = 392 N x 5 cm x sin(20 degrees)
= 392 N x 0.08716
= 34.2 Nm

This is the maximum torque that the muscle can generate. To find the maximum weight that the student can lift, we need to divide this torque by the distance from the elbow joint to the centre of gravity of the weight (30cm). This gives us:

Weight = 34.2 Nm / 30 cm
= 1.14 N

So, the maximum weight that the student can lift is approximately 1.14 kg. Keep in mind that this is assuming ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as fatigue or the weight of the student's arm.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! Remember, practice makes perfect and don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it. Physics can be tough, but with perseverance, you can master it.

1. How do I calculate the force needed to lift a weight?

To calculate the force needed to lift a weight, you can use the formula F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons. Mass remains constant regardless of the gravitational pull, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

3. How does the angle of the lift affect the force needed to lift a weight?

The angle of the lift does not affect the force needed to lift a weight. The force needed is determined by the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity, not the angle of the lift.

4. How can I calculate the acceleration of the weight as it is being lifted?

To calculate the acceleration of the weight, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration in m/s², F is the force in Newtons, and m is the mass of the object in kilograms. This will give you the acceleration at any given moment while the weight is being lifted.

5. What other factors should I consider when lifting a weight?

When lifting a weight, it is important to also consider the distance the weight needs to be lifted, the angle of the lift, and the friction between the object and the surface it is being lifted on. These factors can affect the amount of work and force needed to successfully lift the weight.