1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help and Fast please

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Help and Fast please!!!

A car is designed to get its energy from a rotating flywheel whth a radius of 2 m and a mass of 500 kg. Before a trip, the flywheel is attached to an electric motor, which brings the flywheel's rotational speed up to 5000 rev/min. (a) Find the kinetic enrgy stored in the flywheel. (b) If the flywheel is to supply energy to the car as would a 10 hp motor, find the length of time the car could run before the flywheel would have to be brought back up to speed. 1 hp = 746 Watts

Can somebody walk my through this process....i already know I have to convert 5000 rev/min to radians/sec but i don't even know how to do that!!! please i really need this!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2
    5000/60 = 83.3 revolutions per second
    83.3 * 2pi = 523 rad/sec

Remember that 1 revolution is equivalent to 2pi radians.

The kinetic energy stored in the flywheel would be...

KE = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2

I is equivalent to the moment of inertia and in this case, if i am not mistaken should be...

KE = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2r^2

Remember that...

Power = \frac{dW}{dt}

so you should now be able to figure out b.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?