HELP: Angular Momentum and Torque in a Rotating Disk System

Therefore, in summary, the magnitude of the angular momentum about the center of the disk is 14 kg m2/s and the direction is -z. The magnitude of the torque on the disk, about the center of mass, is 1.8 Nm and the direction is also -z.
fball558
HELP: angular momentum??

1. Homework Statement

A uniform solid disk with radius 10 cm has mass 0.7 kg (moment of inertia I = ½MR2). A constant force 12 N is applied as shown. At the instant shown, the angular velocity of the disk is 40 radians/s in the -z direction (where +x is to the right, +y is up, and +z is out of the page, toward you). The length of the string d is 15 cm.

At this instant, what are the magnitude and direction of the angular momentum about the center of the disk?

What are the magnitude and direction of the torque on the disk, about the center of mass of the disk?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i know both of these have a -z direction. for finding the angular momentum i used
(MR^2/2)W (.7*.1^2/2) * (2(pi)/40) = 5.498e-4
then to find torque i used RF where F is tension force got this by (M*F) = (.7*12) = 8.4
then R*(8.4) = .1*8.4 = .84
these are the wrong answers.
what did i do wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: For the angular momentum, you need to use the formula L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. For this problem, I = 0.35 kg m2 and ω = -40 rad/s, so the angular momentum is L = 0.35(-40) = -14 kg m2/s. The direction is -z. For the torque, you need to use the formula τ = rF, where r is the length of the string and F is the applied force. For this problem, r = 0.15 m and F = 12 N, so the torque is τ = (0.15)(12) = 1.8 Nm. The direction is also -z.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a system cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

4. How is angular momentum related to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion. As an object rotates, its moment of inertia and angular velocity change, causing its angular momentum to also change. This relationship is described by the formula L = Iω.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in everyday life include a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, and a figure skater performing a spin. In all of these examples, the objects have angular momentum due to their rotational motion.