1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Another limit question!

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    Hi, I have this question that I am not all to sure how to do. Actually, I don't know where to even start.

[itex]\large r(x)=\frac{3x^2 - Sx - S^2}{2x^2 + Sx + S ^ 2}[/itex] Where S represents some abitrary number, let's say 9 for an example.

I found the limit of the function to be [itex]\frac{3x}{2}[/itex]

Then the question asks me to find a value of N that satisfies [itex]|r(x) - \frac{3x}{2}| < 0.001[/itex]

I have no clue of where to start... I have these examples but they didn't help much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you're taking the limit of r(x) as x goes to ???

Furthermore, the limit (if it exists) is a number. Your limit has an x-dependence.

I assume you take the limit as x goes to infinity, since that would resemble your answer closely.
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}r(x)=\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Then I guess you must have [itex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|<0.001[/itex] whenever [itex]x>N[/itex] for some number N.
    I think N will depends on S. If S=9, you can check that N=1.000.000 for example easily does the job.

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Write:
    [tex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|=|\frac{3x^{2}-Sx-S^{2}}{2x^{2}+Sx+s^{2}}-3/2\frac{x^{2}+Sx+S^{2}}{x^{2}+Sx+S^{2}}|=[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{2}{x^{2}}|\frac{\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}}{1+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2})}|[/tex]
    1. Assume that x is so big that:
    [tex]|\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}|<1[/tex]
    Hence, we have:
    [tex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|\leq\frac{2}{x^{2}}\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=(\frac{2}{x})^{2}[/tex]
    2. From this it is simple to find a value of x which gives you your estimate.
    3. You are not quite finished, though:
    Evidently, you must find an N so that BOTH your inequalities,
    [tex]|\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}|<1[/tex], [tex](\frac{2}{x})^{2}<\epsilon[/tex]
    are fulfilled, i.e, choose your N to be the maximal value of the "separate N's" you derive for each inequality.
    Your final N is therefore dependent on both [tex]S,\epsilon[/tex]
    ([tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the stated error margin)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  5. Oct 21, 2004 #4
    Thanks, I don't have time to look at this yet. I'm late for class. But the limit was as [itex]x[/itex] approaches [itex]infinity[/itex]. Sorry I should of mentioend that

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, I know that the limit goes to infinity; the derived inequalities holds for "the absolute value of x greater than some number"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  7. Oct 21, 2004 #6

Sorry, the message was for the post prior to yours... the one by... Galileo. Thanks for you help! I still don't have time to look at this... I'll give it a gander when I get home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?