Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Basic Math problem!

1. May 28, 2004 #1
    What's the difference between '15 square inches' and '15 inches squared'. I always thought there was a difference but now am being told that both are the same. If that's the case...

Then how does 1 sq. inch = 1 in squared?

Also....

Is 1 cubic foot the same as 1 foot cubed? Yes, that would seem to be the case.

However...does this hold for other numbers as well? Do 2 cubic feet = 2 ft. cubed? Or is it that 2 cubic feet would be a cube that is 1.27 ft on each side, while 2 ft. cubed would be a cube that measures 2 ft. on each side?

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

15 inches squared is 225 square inches.

4. May 28, 2004 #3
    "15 inches squared is 225 square inches."

Hi,
    I think if the AREA is 15 in. squared, that is the same as 15 square inches. This is the only way any of this makes sense to me.

Therefore...if area is given as 15 in ^ 2, that is the same as 15 square inches.

5. May 28, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I ought to have said 15 inches square and not squared

6. May 28, 2004 #5
    Hi,
    Its ok, Im pretty confused about this thing as it is and no doubt confusing others in the process too!

Basically...I was doing a chem. problem and my calculations showed that a 2.15 X 2.15 X 2.15 foot box (just very little bigger than 2 feet on each side) would take 75 gallons to fill! I couldn't believe it and that's how this whole thing started. (One only needs to take a ruler and measure it against the walls to see how small this box would be, like I just did...He'll be surprised im sure!)

But my calculations are right....it would take 75 milk jugs from one's fridge right now to fill a small box like that!!!!

Sheesh...crazy!

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  7. May 28, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One gallon is 0.137 cubic feet- not very large. A cube 2.15 feet on a side ("2.15 feet square") has volume 2.15x2.15x2.15= 9.94 cubic feet or 9.94/0.137= 72.5 gallons.

8. May 28, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?