Help Been Stuck on these for hours

• Thread starter maddmachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation covers various calculations involving volume, force, pressure, and buoyancy. These include calculating the volume of a diamond, the force applied to a diver's head, atmospheric pressure in different units, the diameter of a driving piston in a hydraulic lift, and the buoyancy of a raft with people on it.
maddmachine
1. Calculate the volume of a 5.00 carat diamond.
2. Calculate the force applied to the top of a diver's head (A=300cm^2) by the ocean (rho=1025kg/m^3), if the diver is a) 3.00m below the surface b) 15.0m below the surface

3. Normal atmospheric pressure at sea level is generally considered to be equal to the pressure exerted by a column of mercury 760mm high. Calculate the corresponding pressure in inches of mercury and in Pascals.

4. The hydraulic lift in a service station is capable of raising cars with a mass up to 2000kg. If this is accomplished with a 20.0cm diameter lifting piston, calculate the diameter of the driving piston if the lifting is to be accomplished with a force not to exceed 100N.

5. A raft has a surface area of 100m^2 and a height of 10.0cm. If it is constructed of yellow pine and floating in a lake, calculate how much of the raft will be above the waterline. Also calculate how many people with an average mass of 70.0kg can be placed on the raft to completely submerge it without sinking it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should go to the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4825

Originally posted by maddmachine
1. Calculate the volume of a 5.00 carat diamond.

How much grams is that?
What is the density of diamond?
So...

As you indicate that you've been working on this for hours, I assume that you can show where you got stuck with this and the other problems...

1 carat is equivalent to 0.2 grams

As for the volume, you need to know the density of a diamond. You can analyze the crystal structure (diamonds have their own structure called the diamond cubic). This is a bit complex, so the density is usually given.

two is a plug and chug depth problem

three is a unit conversion problem

four can be a little tough. Use 100N applied to a small piston (taking area into account) and figure out how big the larger piston needs to be in order to apply 19620N (do you see a ratio?)

five you need the density of yellow pine. from ther you can calculate the bouyant force versus the force of the weight of the raft. When you stack people on the raft, ust the same volume as the first part.

1. How can I get unstuck and make progress on my task?

To get unstuck and make progress on your task, it can be helpful to take a step back and reassess your approach. Are there any resources or tools that you can use to help you solve the problem? Can you break the task down into smaller, more manageable steps? It can also be beneficial to take a break and come back to the task with a fresh perspective.

2. Why do I keep getting stuck on certain tasks?

There could be a variety of reasons for getting stuck on certain tasks. You may need to learn new skills or acquire more knowledge in a certain area. It could also be due to a lack of motivation or interest in the task. Additionally, external factors such as distractions or a busy schedule may be contributing to your difficulty in making progress.

3. How can I stay motivated when I am stuck on a task?

Staying motivated when stuck on a task can be challenging, but it is important to remember the end goal and the purpose behind the task. Break the task down into smaller, achievable goals and reward yourself for making progress. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or colleagues to keep you accountable and motivated.

4. Is it normal to get stuck on tasks as a scientist?

Yes, it is completely normal to get stuck on tasks as a scientist. Research and experimentation involve trial and error, and not all methods or approaches will be successful. The key is to learn from mistakes and continue to problem-solve and adapt your methods until you make progress.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on tasks in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on tasks in the future, it can be helpful to regularly reflect on your working methods and identify any patterns or areas for improvement. It may also be beneficial to seek feedback from peers or mentors to gain new perspectives and insights. Additionally, continuously learning and expanding your knowledge and skills can help you approach tasks from different angles and avoid getting stuck.

Back