1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Binomial Theorem

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1
    Find the term containing [tex]x^{20}[/tex] in [tex](2x - x^4)^{14}[/tex].

I went [tex]t_{k+1}= _{14}C_{k}(2x)^{14-k}(-x^{4})^{k}[/tex]

[tex]= 2x^{14-k}(-x^{4k})[/tex]

First of all, am I on the right track? If so what exactly do I do from there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something is definitely wrong. First of all, your binomial coefficient has disappeard on the second line. Secondly, you seem to pull the 2 out of (2x)14-k in an improper way. You also can't bring the k inside the bracket like that, since it's not ((-x)4)k, it's (-x[sup4[/sup])k. Do you see the difference? The exponent 4 applies only to the x, not to (-x), but the exponent k applies to the whole (-x4). You should end up with:

[tex]t_{k+1} = {{14}\choose k}(-2)^{14-k}x^{14 + 3k}[/tex]

See if you can figure out why the above is right. Now, to find the term containing x20, find the value(s) of k that satisfy 14 + 3k = 20. The only value for k is 2. So plug in 2 for k, you'll get:

4. Jul 2, 2005 #3
    Okay I think I get your point about the [tex]-x^4 [/tex] thing. But how did you get the 2x to turn into -2 and how did you get the 14+3k exponent?
  5. Jul 2, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

You want the x^20 term so if the exponent of x in the kth term is
    4k+(14-k)=20 what is k?
  6. Jul 3, 2005 #5
    +3k... right...thanks I see it now!
  7. Jul 3, 2005 #6
    Take (x^14) common and find the third term in the expansion of (2-(x^3))^14 i.e.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?