1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Block up incline

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    There's a block of mass M that's pulled up an incline by a force T. The block starts from rest and is pulled a distance L by the force T. The incline, which is frictionless, makes an angle (a) with respect to the horizontal.

1) Write down the work done by force T.

That would just be W = T*L right?
    ...Even though net work would be W = TL - mg sin (a)

2) Calculate the potential energy of the block as a function of the position L.

U = mgh = mgLsin(a), right?

3) From the work and the potential energy calculate the kinetic energy of the block as a function of position L.

Okay... so since the force is conserved, KE + PE + W = 0, right??
    So KE = -W - PE
    = - (TL - mg sin (a)) - mgLsin(a))

Is that correct or no??

4) Calculate the acceleration of the block, a, as a function of position L. Calculate the velocity from the acceleration and kinetic energy as a function of position. Show that the kinetic energies calculated in these two ways are equivalent.

I can't get this part to work. I put acceleration = F/M = (T-mg sin (a)) / m but how do I get it in terms of L? And how do I integrate the acceleration function with respect to L??

Thank you! All help is greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted