Help Building a House - Weight Load of Steel Beam

• Thread starter j1call
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, someone is looking for help with weight loading of a steel beam for a verandah project. They have a 75x150 5mm thick steel beam and are wondering if it will support a span of 7110mm with steel rafters and corrugated iron sheets as the roof. However, it is advised to consult with a licensed structural engineer for assistance as giving this type of advice is illegal.
j1call
Hi there, could someone "please" help me with a Q regarding weight loading of a steel beam.

I wish to remove a post over my verandah which would leave a span of 7110mm, The verandah comes out 2.4m, and has steel rafters 1800mm apart with steel roof batterns and will have a corugated iron sheets as the roof. I have a steel beam 75X150 and is 5mm thick (oh its 8 mtrs at the moment but will cut it to 7110mm). Will this beam support this span, how do i work out how much that steel beam will hold in weight? Please i am not that good at maths and would appreciate some help out there!

Thanks JC

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't give that kind of advice here - it is illegal. You need a licensed structural engineer look at the issue.

What is the weight load of a steel beam?

The weight load of a steel beam depends on its size, shape, and the type of steel used. Generally, steel beams can support a weight load of 50,000 to 200,000 pounds per square inch.

How do I determine the weight load needed for my house?

The weight load required for a house depends on the size, design, and materials used. It is best to consult with a structural engineer or an architect to determine the appropriate weight load for your specific house.

What factors affect the weight load of a steel beam?

The weight load of a steel beam is affected by its length, size, shape, and the type of steel used. The weight load capacity also depends on the support system and the spacing between the beams.

How do I select the right steel beam for my house?

Selecting the right steel beam for your house requires careful consideration of the weight load required, the type of steel, and the support system. It is recommended to consult with a structural engineer or an architect for the best option.

Can I use multiple smaller steel beams instead of one large beam?

Yes, multiple smaller steel beams can be used instead of one large beam to distribute the weight load. However, it is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure that the support system is adequate for the load distribution.