1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Building a house!

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    Hi there, could someone "please" help me with a Q regarding weight loading of a steel beam.

I wish to remove a post over my verandah which would leave a span of 7110mm, The verandah comes out 2.4m, and has steel rafters 1800mm apart with steel roof batterns and will have a corugated iron sheets as the roof. I have a steel beam 75X150 and is 5mm thick (oh its 8 mtrs at the moment but will cut it to 7110mm). Will this beam support this span, how do i work out how much that steel beam will hold in weight? Please i am not that good at maths and would appreciate some help out there!

Thanks JC

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we don't give that kind of advice here - it is illegal. You need a licensed structural engineer look at the issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook