HELP Calculate stress applied to slip direction

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a problem in their class involving a single crystal of an FCC metal. The problem involves calculating the yield of the metal under different applied loads in different directions using the slip plane (1 1 1). The student is not familiar with the concept of resolved stress and is directed to refer to their textbook and seek help on a forum dedicated to homework and coursework.
akhanijow
Hi All,
Im having some trouble in one of my classes and can't figure out how to do the following:

If a single crystal of an FCC metal yields with an applied load of 1MPa in the [1 -1 2] direction, at what stress would the same metal yield if the load were applied in the [0 1 4] direction. The problem can be solved by using (1 1 1) as the slip plane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am pretty sure this class is going to kill me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi akhanijow, welcome to PF. Do you know how to calculate the resolved stress on a certain plane due to a load on another plane? (This is sometimes called the Schmidt factor.)

Hi, He never really tought us that in class. He showed us:

(u1u2*v1v2*w1w) / [sqrt(((u1)^2+(v1)^2+(w1)^2) * ((u2)^2+(v2)^2+(w2)^2)

What is your textbook? Please read the section on critical resolved shear stress (on a single crystal).

Henceforth, use the Homework & Coursework section of the forums (see my signature) for questions like this.

1. What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the force applied to an object divided by its cross-sectional area. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

2. How is stress calculated?

To calculate stress, you need to know the applied force and the cross-sectional area of the object. Then, you can use the formula stress = force/area. Make sure to use consistent units for both the force and area.

3. What is the slip direction?

The slip direction refers to the preferred direction along which a crystal or material is likely to deform or break. It is determined by the crystal structure and the orientation of the applied stress.

4. Why is it important to calculate the stress applied to the slip direction?

Calculating the stress applied to the slip direction is important for understanding how a material will behave under different types of stress. It can also help determine the critical stress at which a material will fail or deform in a certain direction.

5. How can I use this information in my research?

If you are studying the mechanical properties of a specific material, knowing the stress applied to the slip direction can help you predict how it will behave under different types of stress. It can also inform the design and engineering of materials for various applications.