Help calculating energy quantities using spectroscopic constants?

In summary, the conversation is about a new AE Ph.D. student in the field of supersonic mixing and combustion who is working on implementing a model for predicting the shape of the absorption spectrum using Filtered Rayleigh Scattering measurements. The student is struggling with understanding and calculating the hyperfine splitting contribution and is seeking guidance and resources to help with their calculations.
oltreuomo
Hi,

I'm a new AE Ph.D. student in the field of supersonic mixing and combustion, currently making preparations for ordering equipment necessary to perform Filtered Rayleigh Scattering measurements in our tunnel.

At this point, I am implementing a model for predicting the shape of the absorption spectrum of the iodine notch filter used in the method for different filter lengths and iodine number densities. However, as I have absolutely no background in spectroscopy or quantum mechanics, understanding and implementing the model has been a bit of a bumpy road, though I believe I am nearly finished.

The point where I am stuck now is in adding the contribution of the hyperfine splitting, as I don't understand how to calculate a few of the relevant parameters. A snippet of the text (Forkey, 1997) can be seen here, which shows the values which I need to calculate. This is an excerpt of the paper which supplies spectroscopic constants that I have available to me. Of course, I also have the relevant low and high rotational and vibrational quantum numbers for each rovibrational transition being considered. I've attempted to calculate G(v'), E_r(v', J') and E(v') using the (low order, it seems) estimations found here (pdf warning), though I wasn't having any luck.

If anyone could help me understand how to calculate the required values using these constants, or point me to a good source which would explain it, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a fellow scientist in the field of supersonic mixing and combustion, and I am familiar with the Filtered Rayleigh Scattering method. I can understand how challenging it must be to implement a model for predicting the shape of the absorption spectrum without a background in spectroscopy or quantum mechanics.

Firstly, I would recommend reaching out to a colleague or professor who has expertise in spectroscopy or quantum mechanics for guidance on calculating the parameters needed for the hyperfine splitting contribution. They may be able to provide a more in-depth explanation and assist you in your calculations.

In addition, there are some resources that may be helpful in understanding the calculations. The paper by Forkey (1997) that you mentioned is a good starting point, as it provides spectroscopic constants and equations for calculating the hyperfine splitting contribution. You may also find the textbook "Molecular Spectroscopy" by Banwell and McCash helpful in understanding the theory and equations behind spectroscopy.

Another resource that may be useful is the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) database, which provides spectroscopic data and calculators for various molecules. You can search for the specific molecule and transitions you are studying and use the calculators to determine the parameters needed for your calculations.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your research. Best of luck with your measurements and calculations!

1. What are spectroscopic constants?

Spectroscopic constants are numerical values used in the calculation of the energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules. They are derived from the analysis of the spectral lines emitted or absorbed by the substance, and they provide information about the electronic, rotational, and vibrational energy states of the system.

2. How are spectroscopic constants determined?

Spectroscopic constants are determined through the use of spectroscopic techniques, such as absorption, emission, and Raman spectroscopy, which measure the energy transitions of the substance. These measurements are then used to calculate the spectral constants using mathematical models and equations.

3. What is the importance of spectroscopic constants in energy calculations?

Spectroscopic constants play a crucial role in the accurate calculation of energy quantities, such as the energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules. They provide a quantitative understanding of the energy states of a substance, which is essential in various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and astronomy.

4. How can spectroscopic constants help in understanding the structure of a molecule?

By providing information about the electronic, rotational, and vibrational energy states of a molecule, spectroscopic constants can aid in determining its structure. The values of these constants can be compared to theoretical calculations and used to validate or refine structural models of the molecule.

5. Are spectroscopic constants universal for all substances?

No, spectroscopic constants are specific to each substance and can vary depending on factors such as the physical state, isotopic composition, and electronic configuration of the substance. These constants are determined experimentally and are unique to the substance being studied.