Help calculating linear speed of an electron?

In summary, according to the Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom, the electron orbits the proton at a radius of 5.29x10-11m. To solve for the linear speed of the electron, the net force acting upon the electron is equal to mVt2/r, where the electric force of attraction between the proton and electron provides the centripetal force. For parts b and c, the calculated electric force of attraction between the proton and electron is 0.00816 N, and Fg can be considered negligible.
flowerz2010
According to the Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom, the elctron orbits the proton a ta radius of 5.29x10-11m.
(a) What is the linear speed of the electron?
(b) What is the angular speed of the electron?
(c) How long does it take for the electron to complete one orbit?

I know how to solve for parts b and c, but do not know how to answer a, and thus can't solve the other two parts.

For part a, I have the the net force acting upon the electron is equal to mVt2/r. What exactly is the net force on the electron? Is it Fe or Fg or both?

I calculated Fe earlier and attained a value of 0.00816 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume the electric force of attraction between the proton and electron in hydrogen would provide the centripetal force of the electron.

rock.freak667 said:
I would assume the electric force of attraction between the proton and electron in hydrogen would provide the centripetal force of the electron.

Yeah, you're right. Thank you. I realized that the Fg would be negligible in this case.

1. What is the formula for calculating the linear speed of an electron?

The formula for calculating the linear speed of an electron is v = √(2KE/m), where v is the linear speed, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How do I determine the kinetic energy of an electron?

The kinetic energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)mv², where m is the mass of the electron and v is the linear speed.

3. What is the unit of measurement for linear speed?

The unit of measurement for linear speed is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the linear speed of an electron change?

Yes, the linear speed of an electron can change depending on its kinetic energy and mass.

5. How does the linear speed of an electron affect its path?

The linear speed of an electron affects its path by determining the radius of its circular motion. A higher linear speed results in a larger radius, while a lower linear speed results in a smaller radius.