Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Capstan driven z axis

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1
    Hello guys I am working on a z axis lift driven by stepper to lift and lower the platform precisely . It will be driven by a capstan drum fixed to stepper shaft and cable routing around pulleys . I have a stepper nema23 with 1n-m holding torque . As per my calculation toque required By motor to lift the stage would be FXR since I am looking to design the stage for max payload of 10 kg I assume the motor torque is sufficient but as we know the efficiency of motor is actually less assuming 80% available torque would that be enough since I am running cables through capstan drum with 2-4 wraps and around pulleys will I be having some mechanical advantage so that my motor is capable with available torque? If yes will that be sufficient enough to hold the stage if there is a power failure without slipping I am routing cables similar to this diagram http://www.google.com/patents/US5273352 I also thought of increasing torque with torque amplifier design http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_amplifier is this feasible enough . Waiting for valuable suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2
  4. Aug 30, 2014 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.

Height?
    How fast will it be required to travel?
    How often will it change direction?

If slow then counterbalance with mass.
    If fast then counterbalance with a spring.

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4
    Hi the height is 2feet it's a bed for a combo mill and 3d printer it will be slow a slow speed since it will driven by stepper to lower precisely I thought of counterbalancing the stage but I have a space constraints that's why I thought of going with a torque amplifier route will this work ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook