Is a Career in Theoretical Physics Possible After a Computer Science Degree?

In summary, this person is from India and did their Bachelors in Computer Science from University of Pune. They have been working since 2007, but their desire is to study theoretical physics and do a PhD. They are currently planning to change their career and go into theoretical physics. Anyone know of any courses or programs where they can do a Masters in Physics in India or Abroad? Regular college physicists have a huge advantage when it comes to publishing papers, but if this person plans to study at home, it might take a while for them to digest all of physics until the Masters level.
xavier_r
Help: Career Advice needed!

Hi guys
I am from India

I did my 3year - Bachelors in Computer Science (ended April 2007) from University of Pune
I have been working since...

But my desire remains to study theoretical physics and do a PhD in it...
Right now I am planning to change my career and go into what I've always wanted, theoretical physics!

Anyone know of any courses, or programs, where they'll allow me to do Masters in Physics in India or Abroad, (considering my background in computer science)

Are there any chances of me, pursuing a career in physics, at all ?

Physics news on Phys.org
While you are looking for a suitable course, you might have a look at some free online ressources for prospective theoretical physicists, compiled by Nobel laureate t' Hooft:

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

Browsing through the material might give you an idea whether you really want to pursue this career (I don't forsee any problems for you, just make sure that this is what you really want)

Thanks for the link Oberst :)

If I learn physics at home itself, and then publish any paper will I be recognized ?
I know it depends upon what, and where I publish, But will regular college physicists have more advantage than me when it comes to publishing papers?

Sorry for my poor english... :)

"Regular college physicists" have a huge advantage in coming up with something publishable - they have learned the state of the art (or should have), along with where interesting extensions may lie, and probably have somewhat more experience with the mechanics of submission.

ok so if i plan to study at home, how long do you think will it take to digest all of physics till the Masters level ?

Or should I concentrate my study onto some specific field ?

1. What are the most important skills for a successful career in science?

The most important skills for a successful career in science include strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, adaptability and flexibility, and a passion for learning and curiosity about the world.

2. How do I decide on a specific field or area of research within science?

Deciding on a specific field or area of research in science can be a challenging decision. It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You can also talk to mentors, attend conferences and seminars, and read current literature to help guide your decision.

3. What steps can I take to advance my career in science?

To advance your career in science, you can work on building a strong publication record, networking with other scientists, attending conferences and workshops, and seeking out mentorship and leadership opportunities. It's also important to continue learning and staying up-to-date on the latest research and technologies in your field.

4. What are some common challenges faced by scientists in their careers?

Some common challenges faced by scientists in their careers include securing funding for research, maintaining a work-life balance, dealing with failure and rejection, and navigating the competitive academic job market. Additionally, many scientists face challenges related to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.

5. How can I find a mentor or advisor to guide me in my career?

To find a mentor or advisor in your career, you can reach out to professors or other professionals in your field who you admire and respect. You can also ask for recommendations from colleagues, attend networking events, and join professional organizations. It's important to establish a good rapport with your mentor and communicate your goals and needs clearly.