1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Charge for an electric field

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    HELP!!! Charge for an electric field

The electric field 0.375 {\rm m} from a very long uniform line of charge is 830 {\rm N/C}.

How much charge is contained in a section of the line of length 1.70 {\rm cm}?

I started doing this problem, and though it was the right approach, but then i continually get the wrong answer, i have two more tries left. this is what i did:

I used the equation:
    E = q/ 4*pi*E0*r[tex]^{}2[/tex]
    and plugged in the electric field number given, with the known length of the line to get the charge of the particle... which came out to 1.30x10^-8 and from my own assumptions i thought regardless of what r is the charge should be the same, but it doesnt work. Can someone please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

wrong formula

That formula describes the electric field from a point charge. You want a formula describing the field from a line charge.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    Re: HELP!!! Charge for an electric field

i used this equation as the line charge
    E= q/ 2*pi*Eo*r
    at least this is the only one that i found, it not labeled in the book.
    i used 830 for E and .017 for r and solved for q... i got 7.85x10^-10.
    This isnt right. i was thinking could r be .375- .017 or something of that nature. i only have one more try to get this answer correct, and i feel so close but i keep getting wrong answers.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: HELP!!! Charge for an electric field

That equation isn't quite right. Instead of q, you should have [itex]\lambda[/itex], which is the charge per unit length. Read this: Electric Field of Line Charge.

Once you figure out the charge per unit length, you can calculate the charge in that segment of the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?