HELP Charge for an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of charge for an electric field. The electric field 0.375 m from a long uniform line of charge is given as 830 N/C. The question asks for the charge contained in a section of the line with a length of 1.70 cm. The person attempting the problem used the equation E = q/4*pi*E0*r^2, but this formula describes the field from a point charge. They are directed to use a different formula for a line charge, E = q/2*pi*E0*r. However, this equation also needs to be modified to include the charge per unit length, \lambda, to accurately calculate the charge in the given segment of the line
Aserap
HELP! Charge for an electric field

The electric field 0.375 {\rm m} from a very long uniform line of charge is 830 {\rm N/C}.

How much charge is contained in a section of the line of length 1.70 {\rm cm}?

I started doing this problem, and though it was the right approach, but then i continually get the wrong answer, i have two more tries left. this is what i did:

I used the equation:
E = q/ 4*pi*E0*r[tex]^{}2[/tex]
and plugged in the electric field number given, with the known length of the line to get the charge of the particle... which came out to 1.30x10^-8 and from my own assumptions i thought regardless of what r is the charge should be the same, but it doesn't work. Can someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
wrong formula

Aserap said:
I used the equation:
E = q/ 4*pi*E0*r[tex]^{}2[/tex]
That formula describes the electric field from a point charge. You want a formula describing the field from a line charge.

i used this equation as the line charge
E= q/ 2*pi*Eo*r
at least this is the only one that i found, it not labeled in the book.
i used 830 for E and .017 for r and solved for q... i got 7.85x10^-10.
This isn't right. i was thinking could r be .375- .017 or something of that nature. i only have one more try to get this answer correct, and i feel so close but i keep getting wrong answers.

Aserap said:
i used this equation as the line charge
E= q/ 2*pi*Eo*r
That equation isn't quite right. Instead of q, you should have [itex]\lambda[/itex], which is the charge per unit length. Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elecyl.html#c1".

Once you figure out the charge per unit length, you can calculate the charge in that segment of the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an electric field charge?

An electric field charge is a property of a particle or object that determines its ability to interact with other charged particles or objects through the electromagnetic force. It is measured in coulombs (C).

What is the relationship between electric field charge and electric field strength?

The electric field strength at a certain point in space is directly proportional to the electric field charge present at that point. This means that the stronger the electric field charge, the stronger the electric field will be at that point.

How is electric field charge calculated?

Electric field charge can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the charge of that particle. This is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What are the units for electric field charge?

The unit for electric field charge is coulombs (C). However, in some cases, it may be expressed in multiples of coulombs, such as microcoulombs (μC) or millcoulombs (mC).

How does electric field charge affect the movement of charged particles?

Electric field charge creates an electric field, which can exert a force on other charged particles within that field. The movement of these particles, either towards or away from the source of the electric field charge, is determined by the strength and direction of the electric field.