Solve Cheese Problem Homework: Find θ1 & θ2

• Thread starter sheepcountme
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 4.50 kg block of gruyere cheese suspended by two ropes, with tensions of 28.3 N and 40.5 N. The goal is to find the angles θ1 and θ2, which are the positive angles "inside" the triangle formed by the ropes. Using the given equations, T1cosθ1+T2cosθ2=0 and T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2=mg, we can eliminate θ2 and solve for θ1. This requires using the given identities, such as θ2 = arccos(... θ1 ...). However, further steps are needed to fully solve the problem.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A 4.50 kg block of gruyere cheese is suspended as shown. Rope 1 on the left has a tension of 28.3 N; rope 2 on the right has a tension of 40.5 N. (a) What is θ1, the angle made by rope 1? (b) What is θ2? State each angle as the positive angle "inside" the triangle the ropes form.

Homework Equations

F=ma
It is suggested we use these: http://i47.tinypic.com/mtxv1z.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the x-axis as T1cosθ1+T2cosθ2=0
and the y-axis as T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2=mg

And now I'm stuck...Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given T1 and T2, right? So you have two equations, which you can use to eliminate θ2 and solve for θ1. For this you will probably need the given identities (for example, you will get θ2 = arccos(... θ1 ...)

Okay, so if I use T1cosθ1+T2cosθ2=0 and plug in the values for T1 and T2 and solve for θ1 I get arccos(1.43cosθ2) and I'm lost again.

Do I set this equal as in: arccos(1.43cosθ2)=arcsin(sqrt((1-arccos(1.43cosθ2))^2)))

and then solve?

What is the "Solve Cheese Problem Homework"?

The "Solve Cheese Problem Homework" is a scientific assignment or problem that involves finding the values of θ1 and θ2, which are angles that determine the shape and size of a piece of cheese.

Why is it important to find θ1 and θ2?

Finding θ1 and θ2 is important as it allows us to accurately describe and understand the shape and size of a piece of cheese. This information can be used in various applications, such as food production and packaging.

What methods can be used to solve the cheese problem homework?

There are various mathematical and computational methods that can be used to solve the cheese problem homework. These may include trigonometry, geometry, and computer simulations.

What variables are needed to solve the cheese problem homework?

The variables needed to solve the cheese problem homework may include the dimensions of the cheese, the angles of θ1 and θ2, and the desired shape or size of the cheese.

What are some real-world applications of solving the cheese problem homework?

Solving the cheese problem homework can have practical applications in food production, packaging design, and even in understanding the structural properties of other materials. It can also help in creating optimal cooking and slicing techniques for cheese.