Help with Calculating Moles of Atoms in Chemistry Lab

In summary, the person is asking for assistance with understanding the question about calculating the number of moles of atoms of magnesium ribbon used in their lab experiment. They are unsure about the terminology and what is being asked of them. They also mention that this is due tomorrow and they are looking for a quick response. The expert advises not to worry about the physical form of the magnesium and to focus on calculating the number of moles of magnesium. They also suggest considering other information from the lab exercise.
jbaybay94
Okay, so I have a quick question about a problem in my lab. The question is:

Calculate the number or moles of atoms of magnesium ribbon used.

Now there is just too many "of"s in that sentence for me.

Now this maybe a stupid question, but what is the question asking exactly? What do I have to do? Am I just looking for moles? What does "moles of atoms" mean.

Oh and I know how to do all the conversions and stuff I just don't understand what the question is asking!

YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

THIS IS ALSO DUE TOMORROW SO HELP QUICK!

Do you just find the moles (grams x mol/molar mass) and then when you get the number of moles convert it to atoms ( times 6.02 x 10^23)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't feel alone, question seems to be ambiguous. List both number of moles and number of atoms, just in case.

All the information you need is or would be readily available. Don't worry too much about the "ribbon" physical form of the Magnesium. What was important is that a precise amount of Magnesium was used (in your lab exercise). The question, "Calculate the number or moles of atoms of magnesium ribbon used", really asks you to calculate the number of moles of Magnesium.

Other information comes from your exercise and lab activity which you did not share in your posting. Did you burn Magnesium? With what? Did you dissolve a magnesium ribbon? In what kind of solution?

On the second thought - there is a difference between "number of moles of atoms of oxygen in 16g" and "number of moles of molecules of oxygen in 16g", so while in most cases this additional information is not necessary, sometimes it is perfectly in place.

Hello! It seems like the question is asking you to calculate the number of moles of magnesium atoms used in your lab. This can be done by using the formula: moles = mass/molar mass. In this case, you would need to know the mass of the magnesium ribbon that was used, and the molar mass of magnesium (which can be found on the periodic table). Once you have calculated the number of moles, you can then convert it to the number of atoms by multiplying by Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23). I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your lab!

1. How do I calculate the number of moles of atoms in a given sample?

In order to calculate the number of moles of atoms in a sample, you will need to know the mass of the sample and the molar mass of the element or compound. Divide the mass of the sample by the molar mass to get the number of moles of atoms.

2. How do I convert from grams to moles?

To convert from grams to moles, you will need to know the molar mass of the substance. Divide the mass in grams by the molar mass to get the number of moles.

3. What is the relationship between moles and Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, 6.022 x 10^23, is the number of particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) in one mole of a substance. This means that one mole of any substance will always contain 6.022 x 10^23 particles.

4. How can I determine the number of atoms in a given sample?

To determine the number of atoms in a sample, you will need to know the number of moles of the substance and multiply it by Avogadro's number. This will give you the total number of atoms in the sample.

5. Can you calculate the moles of atoms in a compound?

Yes, you can calculate the moles of atoms in a compound by first finding the molar mass of the compound and then dividing the mass of the sample by the molar mass. This will give you the number of moles of the entire compound. You can then use the subscript numbers in the chemical formula to determine the number of moles of each type of atom in the compound.