Help choosing an UG university for a 2nd Bachelors

In summary, the poster is deciding between attending the University at Buffalo, Ohio State University, Arizona State University, or Purdue University for their undergraduate studies in physics. They have a clear goal of going into research and are looking for a university that will challenge them intellectually and provide opportunities for further education and career advancement. Factors to consider in making their decision include the strength of the physics department, reputation and ranking, location and campus life, and their own dedication and hard work.
tal0n
I've been accepted to study as an undergraduate at the University at Buffalo, Ohio State University, and Arizona State University. I'm waiting to hear from Purdue University.

I'm going to be studying physics, and only physics. I already have my B.A. in English from Binghamton University, so I'm technically going in as a "senior" (although I have been out of school for 2 years).

I have to make a decision in a few days and I'm hoping some people here might have some advice.

My overall GPA from my previous go-round in college is a 3.44, though my major-specific GPA is a 3.82. I'm a New York State resident. I will be 25 y/o when classes begin in the Fall.

My long-term goal in returning to an undergraduate education in physics is to go into research. I'm setting fairly lofty goals for myself and would like to develop my grades, skills, and CV to the point where I will hopefully be able to earn a PhD from a top physics university (e.g. Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, etc.). As my interests stand right now, I see wanting to work at Fermilab or CERN , or pursuing university research positions.

I want to attend the university that will most challenge me intellectually, and will, quite frankly, look the best on my resume (i.e. open the most doors) as I work on climbing the university ranks.

So, my question is, of the 3 (or 4) universities above, which should I attend in the fall?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on being accepted to multiple universities for your undergraduate studies in physics! It's great to see that you have a clear goal in mind and are determined to achieve it.

In terms of choosing a university, there are a few factors to consider. First, you mentioned that you want to attend the university that will challenge you intellectually. I would recommend researching the physics departments at each of the universities you have been accepted to and see which one has the strongest and most rigorous program. Look at the faculty, their research areas, and any opportunities for undergraduate research or internships. This will give you a good idea of the academic environment at each university and help you determine which one will provide the intellectual challenge you are seeking.

Secondly, you mentioned that you want to attend a university that will look the best on your resume and open doors for you in terms of further education and career opportunities. In this case, it may be helpful to research the reputation and ranking of each university's physics department. You can also look at where recent graduates from each university have gone on to work or study. This will give you an idea of the potential opportunities that each university can provide.

Additionally, consider the location and campus life at each university. Since you will be spending the next few years of your life there, it's important to choose a university that you feel comfortable and happy in. This can also have an impact on your academic performance.

Lastly, it's important to keep in mind that your own dedication and hard work will ultimately determine your success regardless of which university you choose. So, don't put too much emphasis on the university's name or ranking - focus on finding a program and environment that will help you reach your goals and make the most out of your undergraduate experience.

I wish you all the best in making your decision and in your future studies and research endeavors. Good luck!

What factors should I consider when choosing a university for my 2nd Bachelors?

When choosing a university for your 2nd Bachelors, some important factors to consider include the program offerings, location, reputation, cost, and campus life. You should also think about your career goals and how the university can help you achieve them.

Can I transfer credits from my previous Bachelors to the new university?

This will vary depending on the universities involved and their transfer credit policies. It's important to research and communicate with both universities to determine if any credits can be transferred.

Are there any specific requirements for applying to a 2nd Bachelors program?

Each university may have different requirements for their 2nd Bachelors program. Some may require a minimum GPA, specific courses, or additional entrance exams. It's best to check with the university for their specific application requirements.

How can I determine which universities have strong programs in my desired field of study?

There are a few ways to determine the strength of a university's program in a specific field. You can research rankings and reviews, talk to current students or alumni, and look at the faculty and their research in that field.

Is it better to choose a larger or smaller university for my 2nd Bachelors?

The size of the university is a personal preference and can vary depending on the individual's learning style. Larger universities may offer more resources and opportunities, while smaller universities may provide a more intimate learning environment. It's important to consider what will best suit your academic and personal needs.