Help choosing external battery

• Thread starter Grimm1111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a pocket-sized external battery to work with a handheld DVR. The manufacturer of the device is located in Korea and does not have US dealers. The product manual states that the manufacturer's external battery pack runs on 3pcs of Alkaline UM-2(R14/1.5V) batteries and hooks into the unit's AC/DC adaptor outlet. The unit also has an included internal lithium ion battery. The conversation also mentions a 4-cell battery holder for "C" batteries and suggests searching the web for other options.
Grimm1111
I am looking for a pocket-sized external battery to work with a handheld DVR. The manufacturer does make an external battery pack, however the manufacturer of the device is located in Korea, and no US dealers sell it.

From the product manual, it states that the manufacturer's external battery pack runs on... 3pcs of Alkaline UM-2(R14/1.5V) (Regular "C" batteries I think.)

The manufacturer's battery pack hooks into the unit's AC/DC adaptor outlet. The specs are DC5V 2A.

The unit has an included internal battery, which a is 3.7[V], 2000[mAH] lithium ion battery.

Can you think of any pocket sized solutions to my problem here? What do I need to look for in a battery pack that would work? Thanks very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This company sells a 4-cell battery holder for "C" batteries:

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1708.html

Radio Shack has a 4-cell "D" battery holder. For others, search the web.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I know which external battery is compatible with my device?

Before purchasing an external battery, it is important to check the specifications of your device to see what type of charging port it has. Most external batteries come with multiple charging cables, but if your device requires a specific type of port, make sure the external battery has that option.

2. What is the difference between mAh and power output?

mAh (milliampere-hour) is a measure of the battery's capacity, while power output is the rate at which the battery can deliver charge. A higher mAh means the battery can hold more charge, while a higher power output means it can charge your device faster. Both factors are important when choosing an external battery.

3. Can I use my external battery while it is charging?

Yes, most external batteries allow for pass-through charging, meaning you can use the battery to charge your device while it is being charged itself. This is a convenient feature if you need to charge multiple devices at once or if you want to use your device while it is charging.

4. How many times can I charge my device with an external battery?

This depends on the capacity of the external battery and the capacity of your device's battery. To get an estimate, divide the mAh of the external battery by the mAh of your device's battery. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and other factors such as the age and condition of your device's battery may affect the actual number of charges.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an external battery?

It is important to purchase external batteries from reputable brands and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use. Avoid using damaged or counterfeit batteries, and do not leave the battery charging unattended for extended periods of time. Also, be sure to unplug the battery from your device when it is fully charged to avoid overcharging.