What is the centripetal force exerted on a giant amoeba in a centrifuge?

In summary, the centrifuge is swinging a tube out horizontally. The centripetal force on an amoeba at the bottom of the tube is determined by the following: t=period=1/frequency, r=radius, V=velocity, and m=mass.
Bensky
[SOLVED] HELP! Circular motion problem.

Homework Statement

A test tube in a centrifuge is pivoted so that it swings out horizontally as the machine builds up speed. If the bottom of the tube is 165 mm from the central spin axis, and if the machine hits 59000 revolutions per minute, what would be the centripetal force exerted on a giant amoeba of mass 1.0 x 10^-8 kg at the bottom of the tube?

t=period=1/frequency
r=radius
V=velocity
m=mass=1.0 x 10^-8 kg

Homework Equations

V = (2*pi*r)/T
F=(mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

r=.165m (converted to m from mm by dividing by 1000)
m=1.0 X 10^-8
f = 983.3 revolutions per second (I changed 59000 rpm to revolutions per sec. by dividing by 60)
T (period) = 1/983.3 ~= .001

V=(2*pi*r)/T
V= ((2*pi)*.165)/0.001
V= 1036.725576 m/s

F=(mv^2)/r
F=((1 x 10^-8)(1036.725^2)) / .165
F=.0651393 N

Now, I've checked my math several times, so I don't think there's a problem with that - I also think I have the correct formulas. I'm thinking this is either a rounding error or I have the period wrong.

The answers I have tried so far: .065, .0651, and .07 - all are wrong somehow.

Can anyone explain what I have done wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different velocity than you. I think the ~0.001 s you are using for T is causing you trouble. Since T = 1/983.3 s just multiply your v = 2*pi*r by 983.3 instead of dividing by 0.001. This will keep more figures.

hage567 said:
I get a different velocity than you. I think the ~0.001 s you are using for T is causing you trouble. Since T = 1/983.3 s just multiply your v = 2*pi*r by 983.3 instead of dividing by 0.001. This will keep more figures.

So you're saying do 2*pi*r*f instead of 2*pi*r/T?

I would think you meant divide by f, but why would I divide by f if the formula tells me to divide by the period?

No, you're not dividing by f. You can either divide by T or multiply by f, since f = 1/T.

v = 2*pi*r*(1/T) (the way you did it)

which is the same as v = 2*pi*r*f

It's just one way to avoid the 0.001 s. Which I think is you're problem because you rounded it.

Hopefully I'm not confusing you.

hage567 said:
No, you're not dividing by f. You can either divide by T or multiply by f, since f = 1/T.

v = 2*pi*r*(1/T) (the way you did it)

which is the same as v = 2*pi*r*f

It's just one way to avoid the 0.001 s. Which I think is you're problem because you rounded it.

Hopefully I'm not confusing you.

Thank you! Turns out it was a rounding error and when I did it the way you did it it worked fine. I will use that formula from now on.

There's nothing wrong with the way you were doing it. Either way works and both can be useful. Just be aware of rounding when you're using small numbers.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, known as the center of the circle. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as a Ferris wheel, a spinning top, or planets orbiting around a star.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a change in direction, while linear motion involves a change in position. In circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction, but its distance from the center remains constant. In linear motion, the object is constantly changing its distance from the starting point, but its direction remains constant.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle in order to maintain the object's circular path. This force is known as the centripetal force.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some real-life examples of circular motion include the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the motion of a car around a roundabout, and the spinning of a washing machine during the spin cycle.