Conducting Sphere Energy Calculation | R, q, and Vacuum | kq^2/(2R)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the energy associated with a conducting sphere of radius R and charge q surrounded by a vacuum. The formula for the energy is given by u=kq^2/(2R). The person asking for help is struggling with understanding the concept of energy and is looking for guidance on where to find information on it.
jennyyyy

Homework Statement

Show that the energy associated with a conducting sphere of radius R and charge q surronded by a vacuum is given by u=kq^2/(2R).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Forums Global Guidelines said:
Homework Help:
NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help.
What have you attempted thus far?

i couldn't do anything. what is u ?where does it come from i don't understand :( pls help me and sorry for my english i don't know perfect english

Welcome to PF jennyyyy. U is just the name used to denote the energy you are asked to calculate:
Show that the energy u associated with a conducting sphere ... is given by [itex]k q^2 / (2 R)[/itex]

Are you using a book for your electrodynamics course, or lecture notes? Surely there must be something about energy in there, like a formula you could use.

What is a HELP conducting sphere?

A HELP conducting sphere is a scientific instrument used to measure the electrical properties of materials. It consists of a spherical shell made of a conductive material, such as metal, with a small hole in the center for inserting a sample.

How is a HELP conducting sphere used?

A HELP conducting sphere is used in a technique called impedance spectroscopy, where the electrical impedance of a material is measured at different frequencies. The sample is placed inside the sphere, and an alternating current is passed through it. The resulting voltage is then measured to determine the electrical properties of the sample.

What are the advantages of using a HELP conducting sphere?

A HELP conducting sphere offers several advantages over other techniques for measuring electrical properties. It provides a non-destructive and non-invasive method for testing materials, and it can measure a wide range of frequencies with high accuracy.

What types of materials can be tested using a HELP conducting sphere?

A HELP conducting sphere can be used to test a wide range of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is commonly used in the study of polymers, ceramics, and biological materials.

Are there any limitations to using a HELP conducting sphere?

While a HELP conducting sphere is a valuable tool for measuring electrical properties, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for measuring highly conductive materials, such as metals, and it may not provide accurate measurements for materials with complex structures or multiple phases.