1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help - Confusion acid-base equilibrium in water

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    Help -- Confusion acid-base equilibrium in water

Hello,
    I have been reading about the acid-base equilibrium in water. I dont understand what my book explains however. The theory may be information lacking(in my opinion). Because Ive read it so many times I just decided to rewrite everything exactly from my book! I also "rewrote" 2 examples after the theory. I am also confused about what they try to accomplish in the examples. I figure they try to set up the reaction of the acid-base equilibrium in water. In the second example they marked H3O+ & OH- in red, I dont know what that means though. Then next to "simplified" they let H3O+ react with NH3. How do I know whether H3O+ reacts with NH3 or with OH-? And why is it H3O+ that reacts with NH3 and not for example Cl- that reacts with H20 or NH4+?

Im really confused with this material in my book & cant get out of it no matter what. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Theory:
    6wzI8.png

Example 1:

6wzNh.png

Example 2:

6wzPg.png

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?