How Can I Connect My VCR to My Computer for Video Conversion?

• Thread starter mmranch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the individual is having trouble converting VHS video to DVD using their Sony Viao VGC-RA920G computer and two different programs. They have connected their older Sharp VCR to the computer using input/output cables for audio and video, but the computer does not recognize the VCR when trying to "capture" in either program. They are unsure if the problem is with the video input on the computer, the software configuration, or the lack of a compatible capture device. Some solutions suggested include checking for a video input device in the device manager, ensuring the correct driver is used, and using a program called "SonySwitcher 3.0" to switch to the Microsoft DV class driver.
mmranch
I have a Sony Viao VGC-RA920G and two different programs for converting VHS video to DVD. My VCR is an older Sharp model. I have connected them with input/output cables for Audio and Video but the computer doesn't recognize that the VCR is connected when I try to "capture" in either program. Any ideas of what the problem might be? linda@mmranch.net

Computer science news on Phys.org
Too bad you don't have an external dvd recorder. Otherwise id have my friend tell you how he's converted tapes into cds, so this can't be much harder.

What, precisly is the video connected to? If your sound card has an input, did you select it?

I don't have an external dvd recorder, but thanks for the reply.

russ_watters said:
What, precisly is the video connected to? If your sound card has an input, did you select it?
The video output on the vcr is connected to the video input on the computer. The audio output to the audio input Not sure what you mean by sound card or "select it".

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a video input on the computer you plugged the VCR into? you need to make sure the video capture software is configured to look for the capture device. The software doesn't know or care about what's connected. All it's doing is looking for a signal on the input device. Usually in the software there's some way of selecting the input device it's looking for.

imabug said:
Are you sure it's a video input on the computer you plugged the VCR into? you need to make sure the video capture software is configured to look for the capture device. The software doesn't know or care about what's connected. All it's doing is looking for a signal on the input device. Usually in the software there's some way of selecting the input device it's looking for.
The video input is marked "video" on my computer, There's one in the front panel and one in the back. I've tried them both. The software asks me to choose the video driver but the drop down arrow for selections is empty. the audio driver has them, but not the video. So how would I make sure the software is configured to look for the capture device?

Last edited:
If the software doesn't have an option for selecting an input device, then either there's no capture device installed, or no capture device the software is compatible with.

I'd guess the video interface you're trying to connect to is a video output, unless you're absolutely positive the computer was purchased with video input capabilities. The fact that there are two of them also suggests to me that these are actually video outputs. Where is the interface located? on the graphics card? is it part of a separate video capture board you put into the computer?

If it's on the graphics card then unless it's a model that has video input capabilities it's quite likely a video output interface instead.

Should be pretty simple to test. Just run a video cable from the video interface and plug it into the video in on your TV. If it is an output you'll see the computer screen on your monitor.

Last edited:
Well, that could be the problem! I'll check further. Thank you so much for your help. - Everyone!

Yes, that's what I was getting that (sorry, I forgot about this thread)...

Also, for sound, for some applications you "select" the input literally by clicking the box labeled "select" in your volume control.

To get to that, double click the speaker icon next to your clock, click options->properties->recording->ok, and the volume control will then show recording levels for different inputs.

I was able to view the video from the VHS VCR on my computer with a program called "Viao Media" and the sound was there as well! but I still can't get the programs for recording to "capture". I have DVGate Plus and MAGIX movies to DVD. The Magix has a drop down arrow for selecting the device but it's empty. The DVGate Plus just searches and says "not found".

Last edited:
You could look in device manger under Sound/Video to check if you have a video input device and if its working.

It's possible that the drivers did not get installed.

Chances are that Russ and imabug are correct though.

Would I be able to view and hear the video on the Viao Media program if that were the case?

mmranch said:
I was able to view the video from the VHS VCR on my computer with a program called "Viao Media" and the sound was there as well! but I still can't get the programs for recording to "capture". I have DVGate Plus and MAGIX movies to DVD. The Magix has a drop down arrow for selecting the device but it's empty. The DVGate Plus just searches and says "not found".

Beat me to the last post.
If you can view the VCR with the built in program then the capture device is probably non standard.
Don't know if there is driver software that will allow your other software to see it.

Thanks NoTime, I see we posted just minutes apart. Oh I hope there is an answer! I have spent way too much TIME and money on this! These software programs should have better support too. Thank you all for your help and advise. I'm not giving up (except maybe for today!)

This may help.
It could apply to the programs you are trying to use as well.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/326533.html

2. Error "Unable to connect to capture driver" or "No DV device available" when you try to capture video in Premiere 6.x (Windows 98SE and Me only)

This issue occurs if you use the Sony DV class driver. The built-in DV support in Premiere 6.x requires the Microsoft DV class driver (MSDV), which cannot coexist in Windows with any other DV class drivers.

Solution

Run SonySwitcher 3.0 to switch from the Sony DV class drivers to the Microsoft DV class drivers, which are needed to capture video in Premiere. The SonySwitcher is available for free from the Adobe website at www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=42&platform=Windows (for instructions, see the documentation included with SonySwitcher 3.0).

For additional information about this issue, see document 321276 , "Error or no video when trying to capture DV in Premiere 6.x for Windows."

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I try that even if I have Windows XP? It says "98SE and Me only"

mmranch said:
Should I try that even if I have Windows XP? It says "98SE and Me only"
That's a good question.
It may or may not make a difference.
The text refers to Adobe Premiere which is fairly sophisticated compared to most video editors, like the ones you mentioned.
So the Adobe process may be able to access the Sony DV driver under XP and switching is not necessary.

The only way to tell if it will work in your case is try it.
I would recommend you at least look to see which driver is currently loaded for your capture device.

You may also want to create a registry backup before trying it, so you can just do a restore.
Doing a registry backup (or a full system backup) is a good idea before installing any new software.

Well, nothing has worked. I also have Adobe Premiere and that won't capture the video either.
As far as I can tell, I have "Legacy Video Capture" driver "WDM Video for windows capture driver (win 32)" my computer tells me the capture device is working properly.
I can view the video on "Viao Media" so I know the connections are correct.
I have tried to capture it in "Magix", "DVgate Plus" and "Adobe Premiere, standard"
I'm guessing it must be the driver.

Do you know what video card you have? Right click your desktop, click "properties", "settings" and see what it says under "display". And under "advanced" there is more info including (if you have an ATI card) a control center with info on hardware settings.

Also, the viao media player should have a settings or properties dialog that tells you about the hardware that is feeding it.

Under "display" it says "(multiple monitors) on RADEON x300 series" Under "advanced" There are 6 taps with "ATI" but I really don't understand what I'm looking for there, I don't see anything that says "control center" "settings" or "hardware".
I can't find anything in Viao Media re properties or settings, I've tried right clicking, "read me", "help", just don't know where to find it.

What is the purpose of connecting a VCR to a computer?

Connecting a VCR to a computer allows you to transfer old VHS tapes onto your computer, making it easier to store, edit, and share the videos.

What equipment do I need to connect a VCR to a computer?

You will need a VCR, a computer with a video capture card or a USB video capture device, RCA cables, and video editing software.

How do I physically connect the VCR to the computer?

First, connect one end of the RCA cables to the "Video Out" and "Audio Out" ports on the VCR, and the other end to the corresponding ports on the video capture device. Then, connect the video capture device to the computer using a USB cable or by inserting the capture card into an available slot.

What software do I need to transfer VHS tapes to my computer?

You can use any video editing software that allows you to capture and import video from an external source. Some examples include Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Pro.

Can I improve the quality of the VHS tapes when transferring them to my computer?

Yes, you can use video editing software to adjust the brightness, contrast, and color levels of the transferred videos. Additionally, some capture devices have built-in features that can enhance the video quality. However, keep in mind that the quality of the original VHS tape will ultimately determine the quality of the transferred video.