1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Conservation Of Mass

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    :smile: Hi all
    I am in deperate, desperate, desperate need of some help. I have this question that I have been working on for hours and have made no progress at all.

Here is the question.

Write down the "conservation of mass" equation for dm(r)/dr, where m(r) is the mass inside radius "r". Assume that the pressure inside a star at radius r is given by

P(r) = Pc/R(R-r)

where Pc is the central pressure and R is the stars outer radius. Combine this and the equation of hydrostatic equlibrium to find an expression for m(r). Hence show that m(r) x r5/2

PLease please help,

any advice on how to solve this or the answer will be great.

Thanks All

:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
    The equation for hydrostatic equilibrium is dP/dr = -GM(r)ρ/r^2 and as for your "conservation of mass" equation, if it is the one I think it is, if you don't know it then all you need to do is think about how you would get the mass of a spherical shell. HTH.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?