1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Conservation of Momentum

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Object 1 has a mass of 2.8 kg and is moving eastward with a velocity of 7.7 m/s. It collides with a stationary object. After the collision object 1 recoils with a velocity of -2.2 m/s What is the mass of object 2?

2. Relevant equations

As far as I know:

Conservation of Momentum

Po=P

m1v1=m2v2

m=mass

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep trying to solve by using m1v1=m2v2

m2 = m1v1/v2

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You have two unknowns: the mass and velocity of object 2 after the collision.
    You will need two equations to solve this. If you know it is an elastic collision, you can use conservation of energy as your second equation. If it is not elastic, then you cannot find the solution. The result of the collision depends on how much energy is lost in the collision.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    but don't you need the mass of the second object to calculate using the elastic collision formula?

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

No. With two equations, momentum and energy, you can find two unknowns.
    It will not be straightforward - you would have to write the two equations, then solve one of them for either m or v, substitute into the other to eliminate one unknown, then solve for the other one.

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5
    Any chance you could show me? I'm at a major loss and I have a huge exam coming up:/

7. Feb 27, 2012 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Glad to help. But you can't just add "elastic collision" to the question.
    As it stands, there is no solution.
    Take another look at it - if it says "elastic collision" in the question, then write
    energy before = energy after
    ½mv² = ½mv² + ½mv²
    and fill in the known quantities. Once you have your two equations with two unknowns, I can offer further advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook