Mastering Pump Control: Tips for Success | Reservoir, Bucket, and Float Switches

• Thread starter makaveli0129
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pumps
In summary, OK needs some help here and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Basically, he wants to turn off one pump and turn on the other, continuously. He has a fill and a drain pump, a reservoir, and a bucket. He wants to turn off the fill pump and turn on the drain pump, and then turn off the drain pump and turn on the fill pump, and keep doing that. He plans on using two 231 style float switches and an AR relay, but he doesn't think this will work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? If your familiar with microprocessor programming, it's a case of having a conditional loop dependent upon if the bucket is full or not.
makaveli0129
OK needs some help here and I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Basically i have 2 pumps (fill and drain), a resevoir and a bucket. What i want to happen is that i want to fill the bucket from the resevoir up to a point and then as soon as it reaches that point turn the fill pump off and turn the drain pump on. Drain to a point at the bottom and then turn the drain pump off and the fill pump on and repeat forever constantly. I plan on having 2 231 style float switches and an AR relay but i don't think this will work.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
if your familiar with microprocessor programing, its a case of having a conditional loop dependent upon if the bucket is full or not.

Some psudo-code

int Fill_Pump=10;
int Drain_Pump=11;
int Bucket_Level=12;
//Defines input and output pinsint Bucket_Value=13;
//Memory Location to store Analog Value of Bucket float switchvoid setup() {

Bucket_Value= analogRead( Bucket_Level);
//defines the bucket level value as a stored valuepinMode(Fill_Pump,OUTPUT);
pinMode(Drain_Pump, OUTPUT);

}
void loop()
{

while Bucket_Value< <Insert a Predefined value when the bucket would be full>
{
digitalWrite(Drain_Pump, LOW);
digitalWrite(Fill_Pump, HIGH);
}

while Bucket_Value> <Insert a Predefined value when the bucket would be empty>
{
digitalWrite(Fill_Pump, LOW);
digitalWrite(Drain_Pump, HIGH);
}

}For more info, the arduino website can help out with defining some of these values and such.

The output pins can only handle a small amount of current (200mA max) so a transistor, or a relay that can switch such low currents is needed. Make sure though a fly back diode is used across (when current stops flowing across an inductor, the magnetic field collapses creating a surge of current in the opposite direction).

Hope this info help
Joe

i drew up a wiring diagram using one relay and two switches.
But photobucket site keeps bombing my computer. (I HATE computers.)

Use your relay to control both pumps.
When relay is energized you'll run the IN (or FILL?) pump.
and when relay is de-energized you'll run the OUT (DRAIN?) pump.
So one pump is controlled by a 'norally open' relay contact
and the other pump by a 'normally closed' relay contact.
You'll need one additional 'normally open' relay contact to make a 'memory' circiut for the relay.

Use the level switches to control the relay.
You'll need a LOW switch that CLOSES when bucket gets empty.
You'll need a HIGH switch that OPENS when bucket gets full.

Connect the hi and low limit switches and the relay coil all in series, and to a source of power suitable for the relay. Now the relay has enough information to know whether level is low.

But , when level is in between the switches the relay needs to remember whether level was most recently low or high so it knows which pump to run.
So,,,,
In parallel with the LOW switch, connect that extra normally open relay contact.
Now when LOW switch energizes relaly to start the IN pump, level will soon rise and LOW switch will open.
But that relay contact you put in parallel with LOW switch holds relay energized until bucket fills. That's memory.
When HI switch opens, it de-energizes relay stopping IN pump and starting OUT pump. Soon bucket will empty and cycle starts again.

Reason to have relay energized to make FILL pump run is so a burnt out relay coil won't flood the place. You could wire it the other way but this way is fail-safe... you might do a sump pump the other way.

Can you draw that and write the logic statements for it? I gave up on Paint and Photobucket in frustration. .

hope this helps too.

old jim

by the way - 'normally open' and 'normally closed' refer to the state of the contact when the relay is not energized, as if you just took it out of its box and are holding it in your hand. They do NOT refer to the state of the circuit or to water level.

Last edited:

1. How do I control two pumps at the same time?

In order to control two pumps simultaneously, you will need to use a controller or programming language that allows for multiple outputs. This could include a microcontroller, PLC, or software such as LabVIEW. You will also need to ensure that your pumps are compatible with the controller and have the necessary connections.

2. What is the best way to synchronize the pumps?

The best way to synchronize pumps is to use a controller or programming language that allows for precise timing and control of multiple outputs. This will ensure that the pumps are operating at the same speed and flow rate. You may also need to use additional sensors or feedback loops to adjust the pumps as needed.

3. Can I control the pumps remotely?

Yes, if you use a controller or programming language that has remote capabilities, you can control the pumps from a distance. This could include using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or other wireless technologies. Keep in mind that you will need to have a stable and secure connection in order to control the pumps reliably.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with controlling the pumps?

If you are having trouble controlling the pumps, first check all connections and make sure they are secure. Then, review your programming or controller settings to ensure they are correct. You may also need to check the pumps themselves for any malfunctions or issues. If the problem persists, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

5. Is it possible to control the pumps using a smartphone?

Yes, with the use of a controller or programming language that has mobile app capabilities, you can control the pumps using a smartphone. This allows for convenient and remote control of the pumps from anywhere with an internet connection. However, make sure to follow all safety precautions and ensure a stable connection before controlling the pumps from a smartphone.