Converting Lux to Watt: A Guide for Measuring Light Power

• Thread starter yunusx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lux Watt
In summary, the person is seeking help with converting lux measurement into watt for a single wavelength of light. They have been reading about lux, watt, and lumen but are confused. They mention using a Lux meter and a SPIE field guide to find the photopic efficacy for a specific wavelength. They have found a way to convert lux into watt by dividing the lux measurement by 6830 and then dividing by the eye sensitivity coefficient for that particular wavelength. They are asking if this is the correct method.
yunusx
Hi!
I need a little help. Here is my problem,
I have a light source and a monocromator that separates the white light to to its components of different wavelenght. I want to measure the power of the output light which has a single wavelenght. I am using a Lux meter to measure the illumation of the light but I don't know how to convert it into watt.

Could you please help me about this? ı am reading stuff about lux, watt and lumen but I am totally confused.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lux is lumens per square meter, where lumens in turn is a weighted function based on the photopic response of the human eye. To convert from lumens to watts (or watts to lumens) you need to use the photopic efficacy relation, which can be used to define lumens/watt as a function of wavelength.

I have an SPIE field guide which has a small table with discrete values for the photopic efficacy. For example, at a wavelength of 560 nm the photopic efficacy is 680 lm/w.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0819452947/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for your help. :)

I have finally found a way of converting lux into watt. Just for being sure can you tell me whether its tru or not?
1- First i divide the the value of light illumation which i measured in Lux by 6830.
2- Then I divide the result i found by the eye sensivity coefficient which is different for each wavelenght.
The result gives me mW/per sequare cm. Do you think there is a wrong operation?

What is the formula for converting Lux to Watt?

The formula for converting Lux to Watt is:
Watt = Lux x Area (in square meters) x Lumens per Watt

What is the difference between Lux and Watt?

Lux measures the amount of light that falls on a surface, while Watt measures the amount of energy consumed by a light source. Lux is a unit of illuminance, while Watt is a unit of power.

Why do we need to convert Lux to Watt?

We need to convert Lux to Watt in order to understand the energy efficiency of a light source. Lux alone does not give us a complete picture of how much energy a light source is using, but converting it to Watt allows us to accurately compare different light sources based on their energy consumption.

Can Lux and Watt be directly converted?

No, Lux and Watt cannot be directly converted as they measure different aspects of light. Lux measures the intensity of light falling on a surface, while Watt measures the amount of energy consumed by a light source. As such, a conversion formula is needed to convert between the two units.

Are there any online tools available for converting Lux to Watt?

Yes, there are several online tools available for converting Lux to Watt. These tools use the formula mentioned above and make the conversion process quick and easy. Some popular tools include the Lux to Watt converter by RapidTables and Lux to Watt calculator by UnitConverters.net.