Help Coupled harmonic oscillators.

In summary, coupled harmonic oscillators are a system of interconnected oscillators that exhibit synchronized motion and have a shared energy. They are commonly seen in real-life examples such as clock pendulums and guitar strings. The equations of motion for coupled harmonic oscillators are derived from Newton's second law of motion, and the natural frequencies play a crucial role in understanding the system's behavior. These oscillators have various practical applications, including in mechanical engineering, electrical circuits, and biological systems. They can be used to model complex systems, design efficient structures, and develop new technologies.
musicality213

Homework Statement

I am working on my lab, in which I have to find eigenvalues of coupled harmonic oscillators running a) in the same direction and b) in opposite directions. Two masses, three springs.

--v^V^V^V^v--[M]--v^V^V^V^v--[M]--v^V^V^V^v-

I have to compare my calculated values to measured values. My three trials for the same-direction oscillation came back with an average frequency of 0.901 Hz. Each of the carts have mass M, 0.25 kg. I calculated the outer springs as having values of k of 35.28 Nm each, and the center spring as having a constant of 80.18 Nm.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my measured and calculated frequencies to the same order of magnitude, let alone the same number.

I'm assuming w1 and w2 (the frequencies of each cart) should be the same, right?

Homework Equations

F=ma=kx
w=sqrt(k/m)
?

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated frequency: 0.918 +/- 0.051 Hz (three trial average)

Assuming k=35.28 for the outer springs and the mass of each cart is 0.25 kg:

w = (35.28)/(0.25), except for it's not.

I really have a poor understanding of this, and I need help. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are working on a challenging lab and have put a lot of effort into your calculations so far. I understand the frustration of not being able to match calculated and measured values. However, it is important to remember that there are often many factors that can affect the accuracy of our calculations and measurements.

In order to better assist you, could you provide more information about your experimental setup and procedures? What methods did you use to measure the frequencies? Are there any potential sources of error in your measurements? Also, have you considered any other factors that could affect the frequencies, such as damping or non-ideal behavior of the springs?

In terms of your question about the frequencies being the same for both carts, it is not necessarily the case that they should be exactly the same. In fact, the frequencies may be slightly different due to subtle differences in the masses or stiffness of the springs. However, they should be in the same order of magnitude.

I would recommend reviewing your calculations and experimental setup carefully, and also seeking help from your instructor or a lab partner. Sometimes having a second set of eyes can help identify any errors or factors that may have been overlooked.

I wish you luck in your lab and hope you are able to resolve the discrepancies between your calculated and measured values. Keep up the good work!

Hello,

It looks like you are working on a lab involving coupled harmonic oscillators. This can be a complex topic, so it's understandable that you are having trouble getting your calculated and measured frequencies to match up. First, let's address your question about the frequencies of each cart. In the case of coupled oscillators moving in the same direction, the frequencies of each cart will be the same. This is because they are connected by the springs and will move together as one system.

Now, onto your calculations. It seems like you have correctly identified the relevant equations for this system, including F=ma and w=sqrt(k/m). However, I am not sure where you are getting the values for k and m that you are using in your calculations. It would be helpful to see your work and the specific values you are using so that I can provide more specific guidance.

In general, when working with coupled oscillators, it is important to consider the forces and displacements of each individual mass, as well as the forces and displacements of the entire system. It may also be helpful to review the concept of normal modes, which can help you understand the behavior of coupled oscillators.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

1. What are coupled harmonic oscillators?

Coupled harmonic oscillators are a system of two or more oscillators that are connected to each other in some way, such as by a spring or a pendulum. They exhibit synchronized motion and have a shared energy, meaning that changes in one oscillator will affect the motion of the others.

2. What are some real-life examples of coupled harmonic oscillators?

One common example of coupled harmonic oscillators is a clock pendulum. The pendulum and the clock mechanism are connected, and the swinging motion of the pendulum regulates the movement of the clock hands. Another example is a guitar string and its corresponding sound box, where the vibrations of the string are coupled to the air in the sound box to produce music.

3. How are the equations of motion for coupled harmonic oscillators derived?

The equations of motion for coupled harmonic oscillators are derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to each oscillator in the system and considering the interactions between them, a set of coupled differential equations can be derived.

4. What is the significance of the natural frequencies of coupled harmonic oscillators?

The natural frequencies of coupled harmonic oscillators are the frequencies at which the system will oscillate when undisturbed. They are determined by the properties of the individual oscillators and the nature of their coupling. The natural frequencies play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the system, such as whether it will exhibit resonance or not.

5. How are coupled harmonic oscillators used in practical applications?

Coupled harmonic oscillators have many practical applications, such as in mechanical engineering, electrical circuits, and even biological systems. They can be used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, design efficient structures, and develop new technologies. For example, coupled oscillators are used in the design of bridges and buildings to ensure their stability during earthquakes.