Is it better to take condensed summer math courses or spread them out?

In summary, a 31-year-old student is considering taking condensed summer courses to catch up on their math skills. They have the option to take either two 5-week courses or one 8-week course. They are unsure if they should take the slower route to ensure a strong foundation or take the faster route to catch up quickly. They have no other commitments and are willing to devote a lot of time to studying. The recommendation is to not rush and take the slower route to properly understand new concepts in Calculus.
Poker-face
Hi all, I am 31 years old, and have decided to go back to school to get a second degree(My first degree was in Political Science) in Math. I tested into Intermediate Algebra. We are about half way through the clas and I have an almost a perfect average. I would like some advice about condesed summer courses. The community college I am going to offers either two 5 week course, or one 8 week course. Here are my two options.

1. Take College Algebra & Trig over the 8 week session and start Calculus 1 in the fall.

2.Take College Algebra & Trig in the first 5 week session, and Calculus 1 in the second 5 week session, then Calculus 2 in the fall.

I would not be working or taking any other classes, so I would be able to devote a lot of time to studying. The flip side is I don't want to rush the foundation that the rest of my Math skills wil be built on. As I stated I am 31 so it would be nice to play catch up.

Thanks,

EG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is your first time taking Calculus, I would NOT recommend starting in an intensive summer session. The "calculations" and work is not hard but you will come up against new concepts that will take time to sink in properly. Do not rush an entirely new subject.

1. What are the benefits of taking summer classes?

There are several benefits to taking summer classes, including the ability to catch up on credits, fast-track your degree, and focus on a challenging course without the distractions of a full course load. Also, summer classes often have smaller class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention and a more intimate learning experience.

2. How do I know which summer classes to take?

It's important to consider your academic goals and requirements when deciding which summer classes to take. Look at your degree requirements and any prerequisite courses you may need. Also, consider your personal interests and career aspirations when choosing classes.

3. Can I take summer classes at a different institution?

Yes, many students take advantage of summer classes offered at other colleges or universities. Just make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure the credits will transfer back to your home institution.

4. How many summer classes should I take?

This depends on your personal preferences and academic capabilities. Some students prefer to take one or two classes to focus on, while others may take a full course load. It's important to consider your schedule and commitments outside of school when deciding how many classes to take.

5. Are summer classes more difficult than regular classes?

Summer classes are typically more condensed, meaning the material is covered in a shorter period of time. This can make them more challenging, but also allows for a more focused and intensive learning experience. It's important to stay organized and stay on top of assignments and readings in order to succeed in summer classes.