Choosing Between Mathematics and Physics: A Guide for Undecided Students

• Thread starter JA123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Science. However, for the most part, the more mathematics you learn, the more options you have for a successful career in any field of Science.
micromass said:
Well, you'll need to look up what it is chemical engineers study. What it is that they do for a job. What the job prospects are. You will want to know stuff like that first before you can make an informed decision.
I have, and I do find it very intruiging. Do you think that a graduate degree is nessecary to work as an engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
JA123 said:
Do you think that a graduate degree is nessecary to work as an engineer?

No.

micromass said:
No.
Ah then. Is it possible for me to do a Bachelor of Engineering, then commence higher studies in say, Physics?

No. If you want to do grad school in physics, you should have sufficient knowledge of an undergrad in physics. It is very difficult for an engineer to get this understanding.
Also, why do you want higher studies in physics if you hate research?

micromass said:
No. If you want to do grad school in physics, you should have sufficient knowledge of an undergrad in physics. It is very difficult for an engineer to get this understanding.
Something to do. Interest. Things like that. I know it sounds strange, but that is how I feel.

micromass said:
You might change your mind or your feeling about research. You feel you want to avoid research now, but you are still too young and you have much education to go through, and that can change you.

Likes micromass
JA123 said:
I'm beginning to think that Engineering is the way to go. And sorry for the IQ thing, it's just that my intelligence is really my only positive trait, so I tend to display it more than I should ;)

A random number that means nothing is your only positive trait? Surely not. I would hope you're just young and naive, and will soon realize the arbitrary nature of an "IQ score."

I also think you're too young to go to university, myself, especially if you haven't really came up with an idea of what you want to do yet. This decision is important.

I see you keep saying "science or technical is all I can do." Is this your parents talking, or you? What interests you? Research doesn't, you like applications, okay. Engineering would be a solid choice like mircomass is suggesting, but beyond that, you don't have anything you're passionate about? Is going to school for math or science your way of inflating your ego (showing people how smart you are) or sense of self worth? It sure seems like it from the thread. If it is, don't bother.

Something to do. Interest. Things like that. I know it sounds strange, but that is how I feel.

If you don't like research, think it's "icky", don't bother going to graduate school in physics, or math I'm assuming "because it's something to do." You'll want to pluck your eyeballs out with a fork in short order.

Likes micromass