1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Deciphering limit text

1. May 31, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Help Deciphering limit text

"The function [tex]f(x) = 3x[/tex] aproaches the limit 6 as [tex]x\rightarrow 2[/tex]. In fact, given any [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex], choose [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon} {3}[/tex]. We then have
    [tex]|f(x)-6|=|3x-6|=3|x-2|<3\delta = \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0<|x-2|<\delta[/tex]."

How is the book allowed to set [tex]3|x-2|<3\delta[/tex](the 3 * delta), and better yet,
    [tex]3|x-2|=\epsilon[/tex](= epsilon)? I thought the limit designated to them was delta alone, not 3 delta. In addition, how are they allowed to set it equal to epsilon?

I am really trying to understand this; I realize the answer to my questions may seem, "elementary", but I am trying to master the basics of Calculus(currently in pre-calculus).
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2
    It is [tex]3|x-2|<\epsilon[/tex] rather than [tex]3|x-2|=\epsilon[/tex]

By definition of the [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] criterion of a point.
    [tex]\forall \epsilon>0,\exists \delta>0 [/tex]
    [tex] |f(x)-f(x_{0})|<\epsilon[/tex] if [tex]|x-x_{0}|<\delta[/tex]

The author of that text used [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{3}[/tex], substitute that back into
    [tex]3|x-2|<\delta[/tex]. The trick is that we must find a [tex]\delta>0[/tex] such that [tex]|3x-6| < \epsilon [/tex]
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    [tex]|x-x_{0}|< \delta[/tex] The definition
    [tex]|3x-6|< \delta[/tex] substitution
    [tex]3|x-2|<\delta[/tex] Factoring
    I know the author substituted, but if he substituted [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon}{3}[/tex] into the equation, he would get [tex]3|x-2|<\frac {\epsilon}{3}[/tex]; not [tex]3|x-2|<3\delta[/tex]. I'm not catching on.

Also, you mentioned "The trick is that we must find a [tex] \delta>0[/tex] such that [tex] |3x-6|<\epsilon[/tex]." Another question, how do we know what we are actually looking for, the epsilon or the delta?

Thanks a bunch.
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It didn't "set" it. It is saying that if [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex], multiplying both sides of the inequality by 3.

It isn't and I'll bet the book doesn't say that. Starting from [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex], multiply both sides of the inequality by 3 to get [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex]. Now, since [itex]\delta[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\epsilon/3[/itex], it follows that [itex]3\delta= \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]3|x- 2|= |3x- 6|< \epsilon[/itex].

Designated what to be "delta alone"? |x- 2| is given as less than [itex]\delta[/itex], not 3|x-2|.

The definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex]" is "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] , there exist [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x-a|< \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]".

To "prove" that a limit is correct, you have to show that definition is true. You are given [itex]epsilon[/itex], it could be any number. You need to prove that such a [itex]\delta[/itex] exists and a very good way of showing something exists is to find it. "Given" [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you need to find (and so are "looking for") [itex]delta[/itex].
  6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    Ok, that clears up most of my confusion. Thanks again Halls of Ivy!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?