Help derivation of this equation.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: I drew a unit circle with the points A and B. Then I used the properties of a right angled triangle to show that AB=sin(A-B).
yungman
Given a wave:
[tex] e(t)=\hat x E_{x0}\cos \omega t+\hat y E_{y0}\cos( \omega t+ \delta)[/tex](1)
The book claimed:
[tex]\sin^2\delta\;=\; \left[\frac {e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right]^2-2\left[\frac {e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right]\left[\frac {e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right]\cos\delta+ \left[\frac {e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right]^2[/tex]
I can not get this. Below is my work.

From (1)
[tex]e_x(t)=E_{x0}\cos\omega t\;\Rightarrow \;\cos \omega t=\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; \sin\omega t\;=\;\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2}[/tex]
[tex]e_y(t)=E_{y0}\cos(\omega t+\delta) \;\Rightarrow \;\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\;=\;\cos\omega t \cos\delta-\sin\omega t sin\delta\;=\; \frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\cos\delta-\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2}sin\delta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2}sin\delta \;=\; \frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\cos\delta-\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\left(1-(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}})^2\right) sin^2\delta \;=\;\left[\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right]^2 \cos^2\delta-2\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\cos \delta + \left[\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right]^2[/tex]
It is obvious that I am not going to get what the book gave:
[tex]\sin^2\delta\;=\; \left[\frac {e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right]^2-2\left[\frac {e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right]\left[\frac {e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right]\cos\delta+ \left[\frac {e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right]^2[/tex]

Please help my derivation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi yungman! :smile:

(i can't see where you've gone wrong, but try it this way …)

you are essentially asked to prove that cos2A + cos2B - 2cosAcosBcos(A-B) = sin2(A-B)

just expand that! :wink:

when you've done that, try drawing the diameter PQ of a unit circle, with two points A and B such that angleAPD = A, angle BPD = B, and using simple geometry to prove that AB = sin(A-B)

Thanks Tiny Tim, I'll try it and see.

You think you can look at the other questions I posted in page 3 of the "Classical Physics" on Balanis a few days ago, I have no luck at all.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Tiny Tim. I worked out using [itex]A=\omega t +\delta\;\hbox{ and }\; B=\omega t[/itex]. This is a little tricky and unobvious.

for sharing your work and asking for help with your derivation. It's always good to check your work and make sure you understand the steps involved in solving a problem.

I have looked at your work and I see that you are on the right track, but there are a few mistakes or missing steps that are causing you to not get the same result as the book.

First, when you substitute in for e_x(t) and e_y(t), you need to use the expressions you have derived for them, not just their values. So for e_y(t), you should have e_y(t) = E_{y0} \cos(\omega t + \delta) = E_{y0} \cos(\omega t)\cos(\delta) - E_{y0} \sin(\omega t)\sin(\delta).

Next, when you substitute in for \cos(\omega t) and \sin(\omega t), you need to use the expressions you have derived for them as well. So for \cos(\omega t), you should have \cos(\omega t) = \frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}} and for \sin(\omega t), you should have \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2}.

Finally, when multiplying out the terms and rearranging, it looks like you have made a mistake in the last step. You should have:

\left(1 - \left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2\right)\sin^2\delta = \left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2 \cos^2\delta - 2\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}} \cos \delta + \left(\frac{e_y(t)}{E_{y0}}\right)^2

Then, you can use the identities \sin^2\delta + \cos^2\delta = 1 and \cos\delta = \frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}} to simplify this expression to the one given in the book:

\sin^2\delta = \left(\frac{e_x(t)}{E_{x0}}\right)^2 - 2\frac

What is the purpose of deriving an equation?

The purpose of deriving an equation is to understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other. It can also help in making predictions and solving problems related to the topic.

How do I derive an equation?

To derive an equation, you need to use mathematical principles and rules to manipulate the given equation and solve for the desired variable. This involves algebraic operations such as multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.

What are the steps involved in deriving an equation?

The steps involved in deriving an equation include identifying the variables and constants, using the given information to form an equation, rearranging the equation to solve for the desired variable, and simplifying the equation using mathematical principles.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation include incorrect use of mathematical principles, not paying attention to units and dimensions, and not considering all the variables and constants in the given information.

Why is it important to double-check the derived equation?

It is important to double-check the derived equation to ensure that the mathematical operations were performed correctly and to confirm that the equation makes sense in the context of the problem. It also helps to identify any mistakes that may have been made during the derivation process.