Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Deriving Trajectory of Water out of Pipe

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    I suppose this is also related to thrust vectors.

I have a Y pipe with two exit nozzles. These exit nozzles are angled 43.75 degrees from the vertical and are at a radius of .1968m from the vertical. These nozzles have a deflector that can move from 0 degrees (fully open), to 90 degrees (fully closed) [which would make the water angle move from 43.75 degrees when open to -46.25 degrees when fully closed.
    These deflectors are mounted on collars which rotate around the pipe nozzle from angles 0 to 90 degrees.

I need to calculate the coverage area for all angles, deflector and collar rotation, with respect to various heights above a pool. I am having a real problem calculating the initial velocity vector and how that relates to a coverage radius. I am not currently worried about frictional or momentum loss in the fluid upon contact with the deflector. I guess this is mostly a geometry problem with a little bit of constant acceleration thrown in.

Anyone have any suggestions on finding the initial velocity vector of the water and how that relates to the final landing point?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted