1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Determining Molecular Formula

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    The question is as follows:
    Gallium Oxide GaxOy forms when gallium is combined with oxygen. Suppose you allow
    1.25 grams of gallium (Ga) to react with O2 and obtain 1.68 g of GaxOy. What is the formula of the product?
    Can you explain how to solve this problem any help is appreciated, thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

What mass of th e1.68g of GaxOy comes from gallium? How many moles does that correspond to? How much of the mass comes from oxygen? How many moles of oxygen atoms does that correspond to?
  4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    Thank you for the help but can you please explain how to start it off fully, I tried to solve it but messed something up and got an answer that was not even close to the actual. As long as you explain how to start it off I should be able to do the rest myself. Thank you
  5. Sep 24, 2008 #4
    Someone please help this is important work:(
  6. Sep 25, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Follow precisely Ygg steps. Write here what you did, and we will help you straighten things out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?