Help Determining the Activation Energy

In summary, the data showed that the rate constant for the reaction increased as the temperature increased. It was determined that the activation energy for the reaction was 30.3 Joules.
aquabug918
This question comes from a study guide and I can't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A number of experiments were performed to determine the effect of the temperature on the rate constant, k, for the reaction X + Y --> Z which had been determined to be first order in X. The data are shown below

Temperature °C...k (the rate constant)
0 ...... 0.010
25...... 0.084
40...... 0.129
60...... 0.176

From this data, determine the value of the activation energy for the reaction.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
what do the k (s-1) mean? It is not too clear to me

can you write out the rate law for the reaction?
how can you use the arrhenius equation here?

I fixed the format a little, sorry about that. This was the exact question given. The answer given is 30.3 Joules. I have tried everything and can't get an answer close to it. I know that we are supposed to use Arrenhuis's equation and something about a slope of a graph. I just can't put everything together.

Ahh much better now. The Arrhenius eq. which you probably have seen before is

k=Ae^-(Ea/RT).

What happens when you take the natural log of both sides?
you get from simple algebra-

lnK=-(Ea/RT) + lnA

Doesn't this look exactly almost like y=mx+b? (here y is the lnk, m is -Ea/R, and x is 1/T) which means this equation is a straight line.

The variables are lnk, and 1/T so if you plot lnk vs. 1/T you will get a straight line. It should be clear how to find Ea now.

MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS ALWAYS WORK IN SI UNITS! Make sure to use kelvins,joules, etc.

Help Determining the Activation Energy Reply to Thread

Ahh, yes that's what I was missing. Thank you very much for helping me out!

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the existing bonds between molecules in a reactant, allowing new bonds to form and resulting in the formation of products.

2. How is activation energy determined?

There are various methods to determine activation energy, including experimental techniques such as thermal analysis, spectroscopy, and kinetics. These methods involve measuring the rate of a reaction at different temperatures and using mathematical models to calculate the activation energy.

3. Why is activation energy important?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate of a chemical reaction. The higher the activation energy, the slower the reaction will occur. It also provides information about the stability of a reaction and the feasibility of a reaction in a given environment.

4. Can activation energy be changed?

Yes, activation energy can be changed by altering the reaction conditions. For example, increasing the temperature or adding a catalyst can lower the activation energy, making the reaction occur faster. Conversely, decreasing the temperature or removing a catalyst can increase the activation energy, slowing down the reaction.

5. How does activation energy relate to the energy diagram of a reaction?

The energy diagram of a reaction shows the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. The activation energy is represented as the energy barrier between the reactants and products. The difference in energy between the reactants and the peak of the energy barrier is the activation energy.