Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help diagnosing problem!

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My PC keeps cutting out on meand has been doing this for about a week now. I had windows installed for about two years and at first thought it was a software issue, but I have wiped the HDD and installed everything from scratch and the problem remains. It tends to just switch off when I run a CD or a program and is impossible to turn back on without cutting the power entirely first.

My second thought was that its obviously a hardware issue. I had a similar problem with an older PC when the fan on the CPU heatsink went and the CPU cooked itself but the fan is fine and the CPU is operating well within manufacturers recommended limits. Are there any other hardware issues that would cause a similar failure?

I do realise as CPU's age they get heat damaged anyway from normal use so could just be that but I wanted to explore all possibilities before getting a new CPU.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2
    It could be a problem with your motherboard. My old computer had a problem where the main board had gotten old and had developed shorts around the power jack, occasionally causing it to lose its power connection. The fact that you seem to be having issues with your peripherals also points to an old and malfunctioning motherboard.

Thankfully, this is a part that you can pretty much just swap out without much cost or effort.

4. Aug 6, 2006 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a guess. Try power supply, just because you say it drops out when you put a CD in. This would start an additional load on PS.

Some BIOS provide power supply info.
    If so you could check if power is correct.

5. Aug 7, 2006 #4
    its the power suply, i guess, because it happened to me, and it still does, even with a new power supply, stupid old computing hardware. have you got any newer hardware that has been added recently, cause i am guessing thats what happened to mine, with a new dvd recorder and all

6. Aug 7, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a pc probe software that shows temperatures and voltages I'll have a quick look and see whats going on. If the voltages look anomalous then I have a spare power supply I can try from an old pc.

7. Aug 7, 2006 #6
    thats what was rong with mine, i ran Everest on myn and the same stuff came up, (ambigouus and anomalous lookin temps) and thats what fixed it

even then, the temps could have been to do with the very sorry state that the HDD was in, defragmenter went through it 3 times on its own acord before it was satisfied

8. Aug 8, 2006 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After I loaded it and all the wndows updates downloaded and installed its stabalised so hopefully it will be ok. Thanks for the advice anyway. I did check the temperatures and voltages and they looked fine if the problem happens again I'm gonna get a new motherboard and CPU (I need an upgrade really anyway :wink:).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?