1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Differentiating

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    I need to differentiate D (the first equation). In this equation, there is an arcsin. I am not sure what to do about this. Well . . . just have a look:
    If the browser says access denied, copy and paste the URL into a new browser window and it will work.
    I do not know whether or not I used the chain rule correctly and I have never differentiated arcsin before.
    Yes, this is part of my homework. But it is a small part of a larger project. I know exactly what I have to do to complete the project. I have just spent 3 hours attempting to differentiate this. Please do not assume I am simply trying to get a free answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

It looks good, perhaps you could simplify it a bit but your derivative seems correct :smile:
  4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    Thanks. It took me a while to simplify, but here is is:

Once again, if access is denied, copy and paste the URL into a new browser.
  5. Nov 4, 2005 #4
  6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    I can't see the image, it appears to be empty but...

[tex]x=sin y[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=cos y[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{ cos y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac {1}{\sqrt{1-sin^2 y}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?