Help disabling boot manager

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I recently installed Windows 7 Beta on my computer, however I have encountered a problem. Every time my computer starts up the boot manager immediately comes up and gives me the option to either choose Windows 7 or an earlier version of Windows. I want to get rid of the boot manager and have it directly load into Windows 7.

I had someone tell me to set the default OS to Windows 7 and set the time to choose an OS to 0 under start up options but when I did that, for some reason it went to the earlier version of windows. At the same time, I deleted all files from my previous windows installation so whenever it boots into a previous version of windows I receive a blue error screen and my computer immediately shuts down.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the listing of the previous windows on the boot manger? Also I would like to get rid of the boot manager on start up all together.

Answers and Replies

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the listing of the previous windows on the boot manger?
Given your condition,you simply can't. Whoever told you to decrease the timeout to 0, did an utterly wrong thing. I wish you had posted here before following his/her advice.

Getting rid of boot manager by decreasing timeout to 0 is one of the greatest mistakes one can commit on dual OS pc. Had you not done that, you could have loaded into windows 7 easily even if your other OS files are corrupt. The default time is 30s, I don't recommend decreasing that below 5s.

There are two processes to set the default OS:

1. Change default OS from Control panel:

2. Edit a file through command prompt (I don't recommend this if you can do #1, as bcdedit can often cause problems):

As you can see, both options need you to at least load any one OS. Since you can't load into any OS, perhaps the only option is to reset your hard disk and load another OS. Get hold of a good computer mechanic to do that for you.

Tom.G
Science Advisor