1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help dont know what to study

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    help!! dont know what to study

so Im a high school student,who has onlly studied basic physics (no AP).
    However, Im doing an ice engineering internship this summer, and I want to understand everything in my professors research paper. It seems like its very speciailzed to studying heat, heat transfer, temperature, ect...

part of the research paper is attached...

can someone tell me what/and on what website should I study for my internship??

Attached Files:

• heat.doc
      heat.doc
      File size:
      209.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    Re: help!! dont know what to study

Look up Thermodynamics Lectures

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3

Will you please erase that awful copypasta? There are file sharing servers for free and you can post a link to the original document.

5. Jun 22, 2010 #4

I need more in depth/ specialized/advanced information than that

6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

sorry i dont know if im supposed to release too much info from the research paper...but there are some equations there-i hope you can see them, because they reflect the things I need to study

7. Jun 22, 2010 #6

Eqn. (4) is called the heat conduction equation. Mathematically, it is a partial differential equation. The methods used for solving these kinds of equations are usually learned in the second part of Mathematical Methods for Physicists courses. Before you can grasp them, you must be very comfortable with both differential and integral calculus.

Every partial differential equation needs some set of boundary conditions and initial conditions to determine its solution uniquely. Here, the boundary conditions are given by eqn. (6). It simply says that there is a fixed heat flux through the left boundary of the film. The initial condition is given by eqn. (7). It simply states that the initial temperature of the film (at time t = 0) was equal everywhere (for all x).

If you want to understand the physics behind these phenomena, you will need to start with a book on Thermal Science, possibly from an engineer's perspective. This is the OpenCourseWare website for such a course in the Mechanical Engineering Department of MIT:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-51-intermediate-heat-and-mass-transfer-fall-2008/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jun 22, 2010 #7

i have basic knowledge of calculus.
    i thought you only need an initial condition to determine the solution. So I'm assuming that a boundary condition is an additional variable (so I have to understand multivariable calculus)??

9. Jun 22, 2010 #8

Yes. PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) require boundary conditions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook