Understanding PDEs and Boundary Conditions for Heat Transfer in Ice Engineering

• Thread starter superaznnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: These are given by eqn. (6). They state that there is a fixed heat flux through the left boundary of the film. The initial condition is given by eqn. (7). It simply states that the initial temperature of the film (at time t = 0) was equal everywhere (for all x).
superaznnerd
help! don't know what to study

so I am a high school student,who has onlly studied basic physics (no AP).
However, I am doing an ice engineering internship this summer, and I want to understand everything in my professors research paper. It seems like its very speciailzed to studying heat, heat transfer, temperature, ect...

part of the research paper is attached...

can someone tell me what/and on what website should I study for my internship??

Attachments

• heat.doc
    209.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Look up Thermodynamics Lectures

Will you please erase that awful copypasta? There are file sharing servers for free and you can post a link to the original document.

I need more in depth/ specialized/advanced information than that

sorry i don't know if I am supposed to release too much info from the research paper...but there are some equations there-i hope you can see them, because they reflect the things I need to study

Eqn. (4) is called the heat conduction equation. Mathematically, it is a partial differential equation. The methods used for solving these kinds of equations are usually learned in the second part of Mathematical Methods for Physicists courses. Before you can grasp them, you must be very comfortable with both differential and integral calculus.

Every partial differential equation needs some set of boundary conditions and initial conditions to determine its solution uniquely. Here, the boundary conditions are given by eqn. (6). It simply says that there is a fixed heat flux through the left boundary of the film. The initial condition is given by eqn. (7). It simply states that the initial temperature of the film (at time t = 0) was equal everywhere (for all x).

If you want to understand the physics behind these phenomena, you will need to start with a book on Thermal Science, possibly from an engineer's perspective. This is the OpenCourseWare website for such a course in the Mechanical Engineering Department of MIT:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-51-intermediate-heat-and-mass-transfer-fall-2008/"

Last edited by a moderator:

i have basic knowledge of calculus.
i thought you only need an initial condition to determine the solution. So I'm assuming that a boundary condition is an additional variable (so I have to understand multivariable calculus)??

superaznnerd said:
i have basic knowledge of calculus.
i thought you only need an initial condition to determine the solution. So I'm assuming that a boundary condition is an additional variable (so I have to understand multivariable calculus)??

Yes. PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) require boundary conditions.

1. What steps can I take to determine what to study?

First, think about your interests and passions. Consider what subjects or topics you enjoy learning about and could see yourself pursuing a career in. You can also take career assessments or speak with academic advisors for guidance.

2. How do I choose a major or field of study?

Start by researching different majors and their requirements. Think about your long-term goals and which major would best align with them. You can also speak with students or professors in the majors you are considering to gain more insight.

3. What resources are available to help me decide on a course of study?

Your school's career center or academic advisors can provide guidance and resources such as career assessments, informational interviews, and workshops. You can also attend university fairs or do online research to gather more information.

4. Can I change my major or field of study if I am not happy with my current choice?

Yes, it is common for students to change their major or field of study. It is important to speak with your academic advisor to understand the steps and potential consequences of changing your major. Make sure to thoroughly research your new major before making the decision.

5. What can I do if I am still unsure about what to study?

You can explore different internships, volunteer opportunities, or part-time jobs in fields that interest you. This will give you hands-on experience and a better understanding of the day-to-day work in that field. You can also speak with career counselors or professionals in various industries for advice and insights.