Help dont know where to start

• Thread starter tman
  • Start date
In summary, an object falls due to gravity at a rate of -980 cm/sec2 for 10 seconds, starting from rest and position 0. Using the formula d = 1/2at^2, the object would be 490 meters below its original position after 10 seconds. The average velocity during this time period can be calculated by taking the average of the starting and ending velocities, which in this case is 0 m/s and -980 m/s.
tman
An object falls because of gravity at a rate of -980 cm/sec2 (- sign is indicative of a downward direction) for 10 seconds. If it starts from rest (vo= 0) and its position starts from do= 0, where is it 10 seconds later?

_______________m

I don't know where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe use d=1/2vt but what do I plug in

tman said:
maybe use d=1/2vt but what do I plug in
Whatever is this??

You have constant acceleration, how is distance as a function of time given in that case?

I think it is 980m

If every second, it is moving 980 cm / second faster, then how fast is it going in 10 seconds?

v = a * t

what is its average velocity during this 10 second peroid? Hint: It started at 0, it ended at a*t. Take the average.

Now distance is easy. It traveled an average velocity for a known time.

d=1/2vt
This formula is wrong.
d = vt

Following the logic above, you should be able to come up with the correct formula for d using a (acceleration) instead of v (veolcity).

I think it is 980m
This is wrong too. How did you get this? Watch your units. You expressed acceleration in cm, but your answer in meters, which is ok to do, but make sure you convert properly.

Last edited:
Just use this formula

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Input the values and solve. -4.9m(100s)

-490 meters from its original position

Last edited:

1. Where do I begin when I don't know where to start with my research?

The first step is to narrow down your topic and identify what specific aspect of the topic you want to study. From there, you can conduct a literature review to see what research has already been done on the subject, and then determine how your research can contribute something new.

2. How do I choose a research methodology?

The research methodology you choose will depend on your research question and the type of data you want to collect. Some common methodologies include experiments, surveys, case studies, and interviews. It's important to choose a methodology that aligns with your research question and allows you to gather reliable and valid data.

3. What is the importance of creating a research plan?

A research plan outlines the steps you will take to conduct your research and serves as a roadmap for your project. It helps you stay organized and on track, and also allows you to anticipate any potential challenges or roadblocks that may arise during the research process.

4. How can I ensure the credibility and validity of my research?

To ensure credibility and validity, it's important to use reliable and reputable sources for your research. This includes peer-reviewed articles, scholarly books, and reputable websites. Additionally, using multiple sources to support your findings and using a diverse range of perspectives can increase the validity of your research.

5. How do I know when my research is complete?

Your research is complete when you have answered your research question and addressed your objectives. This may involve analyzing and interpreting your data, drawing conclusions, and making recommendations for future research. It's also important to review and revise your research as needed before submitting it for publication or presentation.